Peace River (09-01-24)

Senlathiel

This will be my first post here on the Fossil forum, I suppose it's fitting that it is a trip report. I've only been fossil hunting for about a month or so, and this was my third trip. I've been pouring through the Peace river exclusively, but I am sure I will branch out as I am rapidly falling in love with this hobby. I've also made some friends I met while fossil hunting, and going hunting with friends is far more fun than alone (as with most things in life).

The water was freezing--at least it felt like it to us Floridians. I started digging in some muck, which may not sound fun but I could hear the ** of gravel beneath the organic layer which I hoped had some good fossils, and if I was lucky a good sized Meg. I haven't found a Meg yet, but I keep hoping. My friends were excavating a location they had previously found a Meg tooth in--they worked that site throughout the day but sadly didn't find another Meg. Shark teeth were in short supply in my MuckSpot, but the gravel I found under the organics was large and I was encouraged to keep looking by the various turtle shell and dunong rib fragments I was finding. Eventually, I pulled out a nice glycophant osteodermal plate, which seemed to be the find of the day, an antler fragment, and some horse teeth in poor condition, among other assorted fossils. I even kept a cool matrix rock that had a hole worn through it. Later, I explored some more sandy areas and got my fix of smaller fossils: shark teeth, but no Meg yet, a snake vertebra, ray and skate pavement teeth, and what looks like the grinding plate from a puffer fish. There is a Meg out there waiting for me, I can almost hear it calling my name, but I couldn't find her Saturday.

All in all, a very successful trip despite the water temperature. I can't wait to go again.

post-1197-1233025026_thumb.jpg

post-1197-1233025038_thumb.jpg

post-1197-1233025046_thumb.jpg

post-1197-1233025064_thumb.jpg

This will be my first post here on the Fossil forum, I suppose it's fitting that it is a trip report. I've only been fossil hunting for about a month or so, and this was my third trip. I've been pouring through the Peace river exclusively, but I am sure I will branch out as I am rapidly falling in love with this hobby. I've also made some friends I met while fossil hunting, and going hunting with friends is far more fun than alone (as with most things in life).

The water was freezing--at least it felt like it to us Floridians. I started digging in some muck, which may not sound fun but I could hear the ** of gravel beneath the organic layer which I hoped had some good fossils, and if I was lucky a good sized Meg. I haven't found a Meg yet, but I keep hoping. My friends were excavating a location they had previously found a Meg tooth in--they worked that site throughout the day but sadly didn't find another Meg. Shark teeth were in short supply in my MuckSpot, but the gravel I found under the organics was large and I was encouraged to keep looking by the various turtle shell and dunong rib fragments I was finding. Eventually, I pulled out a nice glycophant osteodermal plate, which seemed to be the find of the day, an antler fragment, and some horse teeth in poor condition, among other assorted fossils. I even kept a cool matrix rock that had a hole worn through it. Later, I explored some more sandy areas and got my fix of smaller fossils: shark teeth, but no Meg yet, a snake vertebra, ray and skate pavement teeth, and what looks like the grinding plate from a puffer fish. There is a Meg out there waiting for me, I can almost hear it calling my name, but I couldn't find her Saturday.

All in all, a very successful trip despite the water temperature. I can't wait to go again.

Great finds !!! I went for a week to the Peace river, and hunted in many areas. If you can get into the campground at Zolfo Springs that is where I had my best luck. Here is a little of what I found there.

post-1010-1233025850_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

well from your finds it looks like your reaching the layer where the stuff is coming out of, the teeth you found are so new looking I would go check that out if I lived down there

well from your finds it looks like your reaching the layer where the stuff is coming out of, the teeth you found are so new looking I would go check that out if I lived down there
 Also remember ,the bigger teeth will be in the deeper areas. And pull the gravel out of crevices in the limestone bottom. I've found good stuff there. Good luck, and post more pics. Great stuff!!!

Great finds !!! I went for a week to the Peace river, and hunted in many areas. If you can get into the campground at Zolfo Springs that is where I had my best luck. Here is a little of what I found there.

Thanks for the tips Makoken, I think I will try the Zolfo camp grounds next. I have tried the Brownville park and the Gardner boat ramp so far, and the above fossils were found at the latter. I won't be able to get out this weekend, next weekend I will. Expect a report. :P

Thanks for the tips Makoken, I think I will try the Zolfo camp grounds next. I have tried the Brownville park and the Gardner boat ramp so far, and the above fossils were found at the latter. I won't be able to get out this weekend, next weekend I will. Expect a report. :P

When at the campground looking @ the river, follow the path down to the right at the of the campground. That is where I had my best luck. Looking foreward to your new finds.