Ferris Bueller Goes Fossicking

Uncle Siphuncle

My wife wanted me to spend a weekend with her and her daughter in Atlanta recently, and wisely dangled a fossil day in front of me as a proverbial carrot to get me to buy in. We arrived at the airport behind schedule due to weather delays, and many people were camped out on the floor for the night waiting for cars. I wanted an econobox, but not wanting to see my lovely wife spend the night on the floor of the airport, I had to abandon my niggardly instincts, crack my wallet, and swing a deal on the only car they had left, a swanky Mercedes AMG C63.

Little did they know that the star of their rental fleet would be my throaty, 6.3 liter, $70K offroad fossil chariot for the weekend! It must have been quite a sight to see the progressively filthier driver crawl out of this thing, gas up, and head back into the mud.

I won't go into much detail on locality specifics out of respect for my offsite guide, and the fact that he secured private land access to a couple of the sites, which I don't want to jeopardize...so if you recognize the sites, I ask you not to name them here. Thanks for understanding. But I will say that they were all within driving distance of Atlanta....that is if you are willing to stay awake 42 hours straight as I did and zigzag 800 miles in the process...

So I dropped off my wife with her daughter around 2 a.m., slugged my first 5 Hour Energy, and was on my way....and this car frequently beeped its "driver attentiveness alarm"...something I believe patterns and monitors eye movement to keep the driver from nodding off. More 5 Hour Energy, please!

post-22-0-19831200-1401219966_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The first site gave up a few Hardouinia echinoids, Upper Cretaceous. I focused on multi specimen matrix chunks.

post-22-0-60785300-1401220538_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-71555800-1401220548_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

More Hardouinia

post-22-0-41527500-1401220589_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Moving on, I later secured a decent Placenticeras ammonite

post-22-0-87006900-1401220679_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-67260600-1401220688_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Fossil hunting from a Mercedes somehow just doesn't seem right, where do you put the mud?-----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Way up yonder, I ran into a few Paleocene Hercoglossa nautiloids...

post-22-0-84964100-1401220745_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-70375400-1401220778_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

I stopped at 3, shipped them home from the post office, and moved on....

post-22-0-02504800-1401220851_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Next it was time for a few Eocene shark, ray, and fish teeth along with a cool reptile vert and other goodies. Too muddy to be taking photos very often.

post-22-0-74181200-1401220915_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-49135400-1401220927_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

After a country drive, I found myself back in the Hardouinia echinoids.....I found one more egg sized specimen, a little cracked up but diagnostic. I enjoyed the views of driving through the backroads of the deep south, but my ride for the day wouldn't slow down for many pictures.....

post-22-0-52899100-1401221219_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-32824900-1401221235_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Fossil hunting from a Mercedes somehow just doesn't seem right, where do you put the mud?-----Tom

Funny you should ask, Tom! Not wanting disrespect a nice car <READ: Pay a cleaning fee>, I sat on a floor mat while driving. A hard rain when I was done knocked off the dust to my satisfaction, relegating my cleaning detail to $1.00 in change to vacuum before turning it in.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Bwahaha! Get any nice "custom limb pinstriping"?

Awesome finds!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

The trip was ludicrously more productive than these pics show. No time for pics in the field.

Grüße,

Hey Dan, man, hauling rocks around in a new Mercedes is just too cool.

Your adventures are off the scale. Mighty impressive finds too.

Regards, Chris

Richard - I plan to give you one.

Grüße,

Great trip report! Sounds like you had a ball.

Your Mercedes adventure reminds me of a story.

About 15 years ago I worked for a Motorola Radio Dealer. I installed radios in vehicles of all kinds. There was this one farmer who would buy a NEW Mercedes (the big one) every year. He'd bring it our shop & we'd install his radio that was removed from his "old" Mercedes.

The leather back seat would have several shovels & other digging implements--- and lots of mud. The driver side floorboards would be covered in mud. Brake pedal, gas pedal, etc--- covered in mud. Dashboard & front passenger side relatively clean.

I guess if you "got it" may as well flaunt it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Looks like it was a fun trip! Your hard work paid off again on those Ammos. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

funniest part... both my cars are turds!

Great trip report! Sounds like you had a ball.

Your Mercedes adventure reminds me of a story.

About 15 years ago I worked for a Motorola Radio Dealer. I installed radios in vehicles of all kinds. There was this one farmer who would buy a NEW Mercedes (the big one) every year. He'd bring it our shop & we'd install his radio that was removed from his "old" Mercedes.

The leather back seat would have several shovels & other digging implements--- and lots of mud. The driver side floorboards would be covered in mud. Brake pedal, gas pedal, etc--- covered in mud. Dashboard & front passenger side relatively clean.

I guess if you "got it" may as well flaunt it!

Grüße,

Fossickin' in style! Great finds as always...you mentioned reptile vert?

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Great report Dan!

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fossickin' in style! Great finds as always...you mentioned reptile vert?

Yes......as I said, pics are backlogged. Vocational, fatherly and husbandly duties prevail when not in the field.

Grüße,

A fossiling Illead; Good stuff, Dr. Dan!

...Get any nice "custom limb pinstriping"?

We call them "Pennsylvania Racing Stripes" in my family. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!