Fossils In Alaska?

silverphoenix

I'm traveling through Alaska right now--Skagway---Whittier--anchorage--Denali

Anyone know of places to look for fossils here?

You've probably already checked this, but just in case.

http://www.fossilsites.com/STATES/AK.HTM

I used to have a book on rock hounding and fossil collecting in Alaska that my uncle gave me when I was young growing up there. I looked but can't find it. You might call a couple bookstores and the REI in Anchorage and see if they have any guide books on the topic if you don't get many leads on here. How long will you be up there?

Good luck!

-Clayton

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever"

- Carl Segan

Going to be up here another 4 days. Traveling up to anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks. I just needed info on any close locations I can get to by cab--don't have a ton of time to research unfortunately or to "test" multiple sites until I find a productive one, so I was hoping I could find someone on here with knowledge of the area

try the alaska geological survey

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late on this thread but I can tell you that there are Jurassic and Cretaceous ammonites in Alaska but you really have to work out the logistics ahead of time. The sites are in areas said to be better accessible (or only accessible) by helicopter. Years ago, I saw some specimens at a southern California show (Hollywood or Lancaster or maybe Costa Mesa).

People have also looked for mammoth tusks for carving and occasionally found other remains (walrus bones, Stellar Sea Cow bones, seal teeth) on St. Lawrence Island. If you're still out there, you might see stuff like that in gift shops.

Jess

I'm traveling through Alaska right now--Skagway---Whittier--anchorage--Denali

Anyone know of places to look for fossils here?

There are some fantastic fossils to be had in Alaska. Here is a link to a website with great photos of Alaskan ammonites. Click on the bars showing the time periods (Albian or Campanian/Maastrichtian, to give two examples) to see the ammonites. A helicopter isn't always necessary to get to the fossils, but a good four wheel drive truck with high clearance, and a willingness to hike long distances and camp out for several days is.

One has to plan far ahead to hope to access these fossil sites. I'm not aware of any that can be reached by taxi.

Don

I had a friend in the 70's, a real feral wild-man, who collected fossil mammoth ivory fragments from the river gravels, and scrimshawed them. Once a year he'd come to the lower 48 to pedal his inventory. Interesting guy...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!