Some Petrified Wood + My Ray Barb From Whiskey Bridge

silverphoenix

Well I finally prepped the material from Whiskey Bridge today and automatically found the last piece, unfortunately, of my ray barb. It turns out that it was broken sometime in the eocene and my sifter broke it further. I found the final piece today, so in a sense, it's as complete as it could ever be. It would of been HUGE if it were complete...

CIMG3139.jpg

I also re-visited a site I hit with Owen the other day and brought my swing pick this time. Figured I better save what I can before the site is destroyed and the wood used as building material--which looks to be soon :faint:

I squished my finger pretty bad when I was digging--pretty bloody, but worth the huge logs I pulled out of the creek walls. I can't wait to see what colors come out once I wash the dirt off of all of these!

CIMG3140.jpg

CIMG3143.jpg

CIMG3141.jpg

I visited a different site today as well, but this is all I found: CIMG3142.jpg

I'll post pictures when everything is clean--that will take a while... Nice thing is now have enough to decorate my room with when I'm done :D

You might need that wood for a fire 2-nite. Great haul.

No kidding it's sleeting here right now 8:51p

Nice house accoutrement's Silverphoenix

Guest bmorefossil
No kidding it's sleeting here right now 8:51p

Nice house accoutrement's Silverphoenix

yea i guess you guys are getting the tail end of it, we have had stuff all day and I bet all day tomorrow.

Silverphoenix,

Will you post a picture of the other side of your ray barb, please. Below is a picture of a ray barb or caudal spine I found at Whiskey Bridge some time ago.

post-8-1233117752_thumb.jpg

You Know, what you pictured looks an awful lot like a petrified reed which are occasionally found at that location. I couild be wrong thats why I want to see what the otherside looks like.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Silverphoenix,

Will you post a picture of the other side of your ray barb, please. Below is a picture of a ray barb or caudal spine I found at Whiskey Bridge some time ago.

post-8-1233117752_thumb.jpg

You Know, what you pictured looks an awful lot like a petrified reed which are occasionally found at that location. I couild be wrong thats why I want to see what the otherside looks like.

JKFoam

I have a cat fish dorsal spine that looks just like that :D

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

The "ray barb" still looks like a Cylindricanthus rectus (Eocene billfish rostrum) to me.

See also Here the second pic is a worn surface.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Here's a picture of the backside---is it a rare find even if it's not a ray barb? I've never found one of these before, so I'm guessing it's rarer to come across than the ray barbs or "squid's beaks"?

CIMG3150.jpg

Also, here's some of the wood cleaned up:

CIMG3144.jpg

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3148.jpg

And my best piece so far (can't tell what they are until they're cleaned):

CIMG3147.jpg

CIMG3146.jpg

CIMG3145.jpg

Cool - that place really generates some beautiful pieces of wood.

I like your suggestion about polishing my piece with the big knot, too.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Cool finds thanks for sharing!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'