Sir, An Otodus With Your Lunch Today?

Oh-Man

A good thing about bringing matrix back home, other than annoying my wife, is that you can continue to fossil hunt during your lunch break...

This is not as good an Otodus as the one from a couple of weeks ago, but was a pleasant surprise this afternoon.

The ray barb is a little under 2" for scale.

The pet wood piece is from Bryan vice Whiskey Bridge and is one of the cooler ones I've found there. There are veins running through it that are dark blood red and coffee colored.

post-549-1233198423_thumb.jpg

post-549-1233198444_thumb.jpg

post-549-1233198554_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

That ray barb is nice! I have yet to find one I guess because I don't think the one I have is ray--my day will come though :D

Those teeth are great finds as well--I find a ton in the matrix I bring back, so that's not too surprising that you found something good in it! I envy that wood lol excellent piece--I bet it would look nice polished or shined in some way to make the knot stand out better.

A good thing about bringing matrix back home, other than annoying my wife, is that you can continue to fossil hunt during your lunch break...

This is not as good an Otodus as the one from a couple of weeks ago, but was a pleasant surprise this afternoon.

The ray barb is a little under 2" for scale.

The pet wood piece is from Bryan vice Whiskey Bridge and is one of the cooler ones I've found there. There are veins running through it that are dark blood red and coffee colored.

Fossil hunting the easy way. We should ship some of the matrix to our Northern snowbound friends...fossil methadone for cabin fever. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Fossil hunting the easy way. We should ship some of the matrix to our Northern snowbound friends...fossil methadone for cabin fever. B)

Good point although some of the guys seem to be having a field day finding teeth under chunks of ice. Now THAT is dedication.

With that being said I did send some N. Texas redbed matrix out to Rob in SC a couple of months ago.

are you sure that is ray it looks like sawfish, anyone else see what im seeing?

I'm not 100% sure on that point, but it has a groove down one side if that would help clarify.

We find lot's of them there, but they rarely come out in one piece as Silverphoenix can atest to.

I'm not 100% sure on that point, but it has a groove down one side if that would help clarify.

We find lot's of them there, but they rarely come out in one piece as Silverphoenix can atest to.

haha, yeah mine came out in about 4--good thing I save my matrix! :D

i think you have something more like this

Looks similar, but the paleo guy from the museum suggested it was a ray barb.

He's been going there for 20 years so I'm inclined to believe him, but as with the "squid beaks" which we just discovered are not from the mouth and are used on the pointy end of the cuddlefish, sometimes we just don't know for sure.

All I know is that it isn't a squaladon front tooth!

Nice piece of pet wood! Oh and by the way love that fish your holdin up! Sweet!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest bmorefossil
Looks similar, but the paleo guy from the museum suggested it was a ray barb.

He's been going there for 20 years so I'm inclined to believe him, but as with the "squid beaks" which we just discovered are not from the mouth and are used on the pointy end of the cuddlefish, sometimes we just don't know for sure.

All I know is that it isn't a squaladon front tooth!

hmm your thing looks exactly like the thing i posted and what I posted isn't ray its fish for sure, so the fossil you found has serrations along the sides?

Way to go Owen, sure wish I lived closer to WB.

The first Otodos that you posted. Did it have a complete tip? I couldn't tell from the pic.

Way to go Owen, sure wish I lived closer to WB.

The first Otodos that you posted. Did it have a complete tip? I couldn't tell from the pic.

Barry, yep, it had a complete tip in the sense that it was chipped, but it was a little rounded in a fashion, too.

It was about 1.5" so pretty good sized for us.

hmm your thing looks exactly like the thing i posted and what I posted isn't ray its fish for sure, so the fossil you found has serrations along the sides?

Nope - no serations. I held it up to the pic you sent and they sure look like the same thing.

And since you mentioned it I think it does look like the sawfish "teeth" I've seen coming out of the nose of those things.

My camera is recharging so I'll see if I can get some better shots of it later.

Thanks

O

I agree with bmore...not a ray barb. The main reason for me is the absence of barbs, but also ray spines are symetrical, this fossil isn't. If not some sort of fish spine, perhaps it's a bone fragment of some sort?

Although I was thinking maybe a worn catfish spine, or something similar:

Check this pic out:

http://digsfossils.com/fossils/pics/mana-fishjaw001c.jpg

Kevin Wilson

Nice finds!

I like the wood. I have a cool piece I need to show you next time you come up this way

Justin

I'll definitely look forward to seeing it. Hopefully I'll get back up to DFW in the next few weeks, but at worst I'll be up in April.