Today's Finds - Travis Co., Tx

Uncle Siphuncle

JohnJ and I did some running around Central TX today and ended up with a few goodies. These shark teeth and ammonites hail from the South Bosque fm at the top of the Eagle Ford group.

post-22-1233464689_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233464701_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233464715_thumb.jpg

post-22-1233464729_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Top of the Eagle Ford group??? I'm lucky just to find the bottom!!!!!!!

Nice finds...... Me likey the teeth!

as always Dan, great finds!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Yes O, the glauconite in this zone when not exposed and weathered is a red shell hash with decomposing pyrite, black specks, and lots of deceiving phosphate nodules. I've worked this site for 4-5 years with one buddy or another and sadly due to its limited extent we've hit the point of diminishing returns - may not be worth another trip. In the past I've taken lots of Ptychodus anonymus, large Cretoxyrhina mantelli teeth, countless hundreds of Squalicorax falcatus, shark verts, turtle bone frags, fish verts, even a perfect little Enchodus jaw. Maybe with a little dynamite we can relieve about 30 vertical feet of overburden and rejuvenate the site.....

Nice teeth.

Looks like red matrix???

Grüße,

Yes O, the glauconite in this zone when not exposed and weathered is a red shell hash with decomposing pyrite, black specks, and lots of deceiving phosphate nodules. I've worked this site for 4-5 years with one buddy or another and sadly due to its limited extent we've hit the point of diminishing returns - may not be worth another trip. In the past I've taken lots of Ptychodus anonymus, large Cretoxyrhina mantelli teeth, countless hundreds of Squalicorax falcatus, shark verts, turtle bone frags, fish verts, even a perfect little Enchodus jaw. Maybe with a little dynamite we can relieve about 30 vertical feet of overburden and rejuvenate the site.....

Dan,

I like that idea - I've got demolition skills!!!

Of course, the reason I asked is that it looks similar to the "Toys R Us" spot we used to hit on UT geology field trips. SOMEwhere in my boxes in my attic are a few nice teeth from that formation.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

:D

post-423-1233585329_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not the same site, never been to that site by the way, but let's blow them both up nonetheless! Then with a little rain we'll be back in bidness....

Dan,

Of course, the reason I asked is that it looks similar to the "Toys R Us" spot we used to hit on UT geology field trips. SOMEwhere in my boxes in my attic are a few nice teeth from that formation.

O

Grüße,

Not the same site, never been to that site by the way, but let's blow them both up nonetheless! Then with a little rain we'll be back in bidness....

Of course a strategically located fire hydrant and some 1.5" hose + nozzle can do a darned good job, too.

I'll have to check the Toys R Us site next time I'm up there and see what it looks like.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

...late to the table. It was great for a short trip. Thanks, Dan.

post-420-1233641945_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233641968_thumb.jpg

post-420-1233641994_thumb.jpgpost-420-1233642030_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

...late to the table. It was great for a short trip. Thanks, Dan.

Nice stuff guys. That crystal ammo is too cool. I saw a couple of really nice crystallized shell specimens in matrix at the Bonsai and Fossil shop on 71 on Sunday.

BTW, I like to blow stuff up, too.

Dan,

O

I went to the ToysRus formation today on the way back from the HD. Hadn't been there since '92. Me thinks we need some rain in Austin! All I found were the usual suspects, and about 5 or 6 homeless campsites. It was still fun going down and walking the limestone creek bed....it was really beautiful.

That crystalized ammo is toooooo coooooool!!! Looks like some squali's, and nice little cusplets on the small dagger, have you ID'd the Ptychodos ...looks nice.

I went to the ToysRus formation today on the way back from the HD. Hadn't been there since '92. Me thinks we need some rain in Austin! All I found were the usual suspects, and about 5 or 6 homeless campsites. It was still fun going down and walking the limestone creek bed....it was really beautiful.

I went down there tues. Homeless camps & mountain bikes. I did stumble upon one sharks tooth (broken) and the million shells. I was mainly on the bike path. I'll have to check out the creek bed. !