Is This A Real Keichousaurus Fossil?

ilovefossils1234

Almost impossible to tell from the picture provided. :(

Many are real, but poorly prepped, and/or enhanced with ink to create bones that do not show, or to make the bones stand out more.

You are always taking a chance when you buy one of these.

Only you can decide whether you should buy it.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I second the above comments, from a picture it is almost impossible to tell the good from the bad. The only way is to see it up close and personal.

As Fossildude19 said, it is impossible to judge from a photo alone. One trait of your specimen that stands out to my eye is the dark body coloration. That is, the ones I typically see offered show matrix between the ribs, not carbon staining (i.e. color). Good luck with your search. Perhaps you are in a position to get to know this dealer and judge firsthand the quality of his offerings.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Be careful.. there was one that looked like that on here not long ago.. same matrix with straight lines and same color.. could be the same one.. it wasn't all there.

Ed

I am very wary of it. At best, it appears to have been quickly and brutally prepped. At worst, largely hand made.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Be careful.. there was one that looked like that on here not long ago.. same matrix with straight lines and same color.. could be the same one.. it wasn't all there.

Ed

It is in fact from the same shop, but a different specimen. Mine is totally beaten up, with the prep marks present, glue exposed and paint removed.

And yet surprisingly, the majority of mine is real, except for the tail which is fully carved. The head and neck was thought to be fake at first, but examination under a microscope reveals there are tiny bumps on certain spots conforming to real skull and neck sections. In short, the torso is quite real. While the neck upwards was so badly prepped that the seller had to over-compensate by carving out the matrix, and then painting onto it.

Assuming this Keichousaurs is prepped in the same style, I believe there is a solid chance this is a 70%-or-more genuine fossil (underneath the unnecessary layer of paint).

Edited by -Andy-

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I'm going to agree with that. there seem to be sculpt facets on the "bones" in a lot of places, And it also looks like one material that is painting in some locations.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

As Fossildude19 said, it is impossible to judge from a photo alone. One trait of your specimen that stands out to my eye is the dark body coloration. That is, the ones I typically see offered show matrix between the ribs, not carbon staining (i.e. color). Good luck with your search. Perhaps you are in a position to get to know this dealer and judge firsthand the quality of his offerings.

With the addition of the close-up pictures my observation regarding complete "color" of the torso is invalid. For example, I now see the matrix between the ribs. If it were mine, I would attempt to expose more bone that is now matrix covered (a small area). In this manner you could determine if the bone extends into the matrix (i.e. not carved on the surface). You would also be able to compare the newly exposed bone to that already exposed. This would potentially provide info about artificial enhancement. Good luck. Have fun.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Even if this specimen was 'real', its a very bad prep job.

I agree with RB. They prepped it with a rotary tool and wire brush or somesuch... BAD. That takes the bones away as well as the rock, so you end up with a cross section of excessively tool-worn bone. I think it is real, but badly prepped. I will stand by the badly prepped, but, the 'real' is my judgement from pix only, not specimen in hand.

I agree with RB. They prepped it with a rotary tool and wire brush or somesuch... BAD. That takes the bones away as well as the rock, so you end up with a cross section of excessively tool-worn bone. I think it is real, but badly prepped. I will stand by the badly prepped, but, the 'real' is my judgement from pix only, not specimen in hand.

Yes its a bad prep and its a composite with restoration.

Here's a link to one of a number of Keichousaurus threads on the forum:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/10727-ok-i-see-keichousaurus-plates-all-the-time/?hl=keichousaurus

It's a good thread because there are photos of authentic specimens in it. Anyone thinking about buying a keichousaur should be familiar with what its skeleton looks like - the shapes and sizes of the bones. The average fake-maker is going to cut corners and/or not know the anatomical details well enough, creating a carelessly-prepped sculpture that will not fool the well-prepared buyer.

Years ago, I overheard a fossil dealer tell one of his customers that he has to become his own expert if he's going to collect fossils. That is especially true if you are interested in nice skeletons.

Is this a real keichousaurus fossil? should i buy it?

I keep thinking about posting a Keichousaurus that I purchased about 12 years ago. The one thing that I notice on mine is that the stone bulges out on the bottom side (the side that is unprepped). The bulge about matches the shape of the keichousaurus on the prepped side. I assumed that it was the rest of the creature slightly altering the flatness of the shale. Is this a sign that it is real or is there some reason that fakes would have a bulge like that?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

What does the "bottom" surface look like? Does it appear as naturally weathered stone? If so, I would take the bulge as a good sign.

Yes, it is just like a weathered piece of shale with a gently bulged section.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Seems like a sculpt to me (As an artist). Much too evenly balanced. You should expect some more damage, etc.