Best Bug Book

RichW9090

I'm looking for a good in depth technical discussion of the evolution of trilobites. I'm not looking for a coffee-table book full of wonderfully exquisite pictures. I want up-to-date palaeobiology and phylogeny. Does such a thing exist?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

False modesty aside, I'd recommend the book I translated: Bonino, Enrico & Kier, Carlo. (2010). Trilobites: The Back To The Past Museum Guide. Trans. Wendell Ricketts. Barzago (Lecco), Italy: Casa Editrice Marna. Only trouble is, it's pretty hard to come by!

W.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

Rich,

Here's a small sample of the numerous papers on the phyogeny of specific groups of trilobites. Also listed are some excellent books with lots of research material to get you started. Additionally, the chapter: "Evolutionary History" (Treatise 'O' 1997) by Fortey and Owens is superb. I'll be happy to send them, and any others you discover along the way.

Ramsköld, L., & Werdelin, L. (1991)
The phylogeny and evolution of some phacopid trilobites.
Cladistics, 7:29-74

Přibyl, A., Vaněk, J. & Pek, I. (1985)
Phylogeny and taxonomy of Family Cheiruridae (Trilobita).
Acta Universitatis Palackianae Olomucensis Facultas rerum naturalium. Geographica-Geologica, 83:107-193

Whittington, H.B. (1966)
Phylogeny and Distribution of Ordovician Trilobites.
Journal of Paleontology, 40(3):696-737

Jell, P.A. (2003)

Phylogeny of Early Cambrian Trilobites.
Special Papers in Palaeontology, 70:45-57

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortey, R.A., & Thomas, R.H. (eds.) (1998)
Arthropod relationships.
Springer Publishing, 383 pp.

Edgecombe, G.D. (1998)
Arthropod Fossils and Phylogeny.

Columbia University Press, 347 pp.

Adrain, J.M., Edgecombe, G.D., & Leiberman, B.S. (eds.) (2001)
Fossils, Phylogeny, and Form.
Topics in Geobiology, Springer, 402 pp.

Koenemann, S., & Jenner, R. (eds.) (2005)

Crustacea and arthropod relationships.

CRC Press, 423 pp.

Minelli, A., Boxshall, G., & Fusco, G. (eds.) (2013)

Arthropod Biology and Evolution.

Springer Publishing, 532 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I've got a large number of links to papers on trilobites in my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum. One in particular that might interest you is:

Mikulic, D.G., E. Landing and J. Kloessendorf (eds.)(2007). Fabulous Fossils - 300 Years of Worldwide Research on Trilobites. New York State Museum Bulletin 507.

This is a 254 page book that deals with a wide variety of trilobite-related topics.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I've got a large number of links to papers on trilobites in my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum. One in particular that might interest you is:

Mikulic, D.G., E. Landing and J. Kloessendorf (eds.)(2007). Fabulous Fossils - 300 Years of Worldwide Research on Trilobites. New York State Museum Bulletin 507.

This is a 254 page book that deals with a wide variety of trilobite-related topics.

-Joe

That is a great book of course, but as the title suggests, it's only a historical account of trilobite research and researchers.

Yes...but there is a wealth of information buried within. Okay then...how about this one:

Rabano, I., R. Gozalo and D. Garcia-Bellido (eds.)(2008). Advances in Trilobite Research. Instituto Geologico y Minero de Espana, Madrid.

This one may be a little more in line with what you're looking for...though not an exhaustive treatise on general trilobite evolution and, like the previous, has the advantage of being a free download (at least for the time being).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Yes...but there is a wealth of information buried within. Okay then...how about this one:

Rabano, I., R. Gozalo and D. Garcia-Bellido (eds.)(2008). Advances in Trilobite Research. Instituto Geologico y Minero de Espana, Madrid.

This one may be a little more in line with what you're looking for...though not an exhaustive treatise on general trilobite evolution and, like the previous, has the advantage of being a free download (at least for the time being).

-Joe

Yes, but the information is totally unrelated to the request for books on trilobite evolution and phylogeny. "Advances in Trilobite Research" is only a bunch of abstracts and short papers from the 2008 International Trilobite Conference, nothing in the technical realm that Rich requested.

Thanks, folks. I think a couple of the papers Piranha listed will be a start. I'm trying to get my head around the whole group first - then if I want to follow any lineage in detail, I can. Not sure I want to. I'm reading Erwin and Valentine's Cambrian Explosion book, and want some context for trilobites.

Should be a snap; there are only 17,000 species (+/-).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On 6/29/2014 at 5:13 PM, Auspex said:

Should be a snap; there are only 17,000 species (+/-).

Revise that number up a bit.... as of October 2013 GSA, Jonathan Adrain has tabulated 20,928 valid species published from 1781 to 2005. emo73.gif :P

It's not a book... but if ever I'm looking for information on trilobites, Sam Gon's trilobite website is my first port of call. Scroll down to the section on "classification":

http://www.trilobites.info/

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

It's not a book... but if ever I'm looking for information on trilobites, Sam Gon's trilobite website is my first port of call. Scroll down to the section on "classification":

http://www.trilobites.info/

Sam Gon also sells a self published guide to trilobites. It is good for trilobite anatomy and taxonomy and such, and is only about 15 bucks. Contact him form his web site.

Revise that number up a bit.... as of October 2013 GSA, Jonathan Adrain has tabulated 20,928 valid species published from 1781 to 2005. emo73.gif :P

Hmmm... only about 20,875 species to go. I'd better get to work.

Don

Thanks, folks. I think a couple of the papers Piranha listed will be a start. I'm trying to get my head around the whole group first - then if I want to follow any lineage in detail, I can. Not sure I want to. I'm reading Erwin and Valentine's Cambrian Explosion book, and want some context for trilobites.

Dabbling in the inverts are we, Rich? :P

Steve

Only to be able to speak more knowledgeably about the Cambrian Explosion.

Rich