Some Finds From East/north Texas

Traviscounty

Those are awesome finds! Love that marble! I actually think that one is mine I've lost some of mine lately. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Curt, is that an echinoid from the NSR in the gray matrix?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Could that one in the matrix be a small Menabites or Trachyscaphites?

My NSR book doesn't list any echinoids with tubercules.

I am not sure. I tried to catch it before it crawled into this rock. ;)

It looks like if I hit it right the matrix will come off. Any suggestions?

post-1159-1233761689_thumb.jpg

Hey Travis, I wouldn't hit that thing just yet. Need to use the proper tool to do it right.An electric engraver is a cheap alternative to one of those expensive mini air scribes.It's kinda like a small jackhammer.And practicing on a less important piece is recommended.Does it look like the specimen is whole??

I have a hammer handpiece for my flex-shaft? I haven't used it a lot for fossils, but I can bezel set an aspirin with it.

It looks whole. The matrix is super hard. I have no experience in doing this. What is the crystalline coating? How do you take that off the fossil, or do you?

I really appreciate the help. It's nice to have found people that are willing to help others learn, and share their knowledge. I would hate to find something important one day, and screw the pooch.

[

I really appreciate the help. It's nice to have found people that are willing to help others learn, and share their knowledge.

I learned about using the engraver from this forum. The search feature is great.

There are alot of topics dealing with fossil prep.Knowledge ......LOL.... I'm just a newbie like you!

Bring that piece with you Saturday and lets take a look.

It might be a piece that you would leave the specimen in the matrix and detail around it.

The crystalline coating is pleasing to the eye ,so you would want to leave that.

Of the ID I suggested....that could change in a flash. We are of course just looking at photos!

The crystalline coating is probably calcite of some sort.

Honestly I think it is a Trachyscaphites, that is what it looks like to me.

That makes a lot more sense...good call Barry & mommabetts.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Looks like there is more than one in there, or at least pieces of something. Practice on something you don't care about before attempting to clean up this guy.

Yea, I think I'll hold off. I don't want to tarnish my almost flawless reputation. Only broke one diamond of any size in 15 yrs. :)