Cretaceous Fossil Hunt

Archimedes

Yesterday was a nice day, about 60 degrees, before it got cold again and we decided to try and find some upper Cretaceous fossils in the very NE corner of Mississippi, so we headed out to an area we had found some crabs 5 years before. The cut was over grown and we start driving around and found a chalk bank off to the side and back of a plant. We had collected for about an hour and were asked to leave, the person was kind enough to let us stay longer, as long as we were gone before he left work. My buddies found a few shark teeth so I do not have any to show you but I ended up finding 3 Mosasaur bones which was great, and a nice lobster to show.

post-385-1233613187_thumb.jpg

Nautiloid Eutrephoceras Largest is about 4.5 inches wide

post-385-1233613351_thumb.jpg

Mosasaur Bone about 3 inches long

post-385-1233613337_thumb.jpg

Lobsters Largest is about 4 inches wide

post-385-1233613319_thumb.jpg

Crabs

post-385-1233613170_thumb.jpg

Hermit Crab Claw

post-385-1233613294_thumb.jpg

Exogyra costata Say, 1820 Top is about 4 inches wide, Bottom is about 6 inches wide.

post-385-1233613223_thumb.jpg

post-385-1233613244_thumb.jpg

Exogyra ponderosa Roemer about 5inches wide

post-385-1233613200_thumb.jpg

Gryphaea convexa (Say, 1820) Largest is about 4.5 inches wide

post-385-1233613272_thumb.jpg

wow, that's a great amount of variety. i'd get all proud if i stumpled a pawn an egosystem like that!

i'm thinkin' you need to revisit that guy with a sixpack of "old purswader" and tell him how much you porsche he ated his hospital itty, and that here you are again!

• 1 month later...

Are your crabs Dakoticancer australis? Interesting preservation compared to South TX.....no ammonites? I don't have your lobsters here....interesting similarities and differences in faunal spectrum with the Corsicana fm in my area......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Im really liking the claw. Good job!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Are your crabs Dakoticancer australis? Interesting preservation compared to South TX.....no ammonites? I don't have your lobsters here....interesting similarities and differences in faunal spectrum with the Corsicana fm in my area......

Dan,

I remember seeing in a historical geology book a map of the upper Cretaceous coastline of the southern US. From that map, it struck me that I should not be surprised at the similarities between the faunal assembledges of the Texas upper Cretaceous and the Mississippi/western Tennessee upper Cretaceous. I collected in northwestern Mississippi and in places I could have sworn I was in the Austin Chalk.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite