Multiple Shark Tooth Ids

ebrocklds

here are a few teeth from argentina that i need identified. they are eocene possibly patagonico formation. if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.

thanks

brock

2007122020441193.JPG

2007122020449504.JPG

2007122020447526.JPG

2007122020444550.JPG

2007122020449390.JPG

a few more from argentina

2007122020392414.JPG

200712202041550.JPG

odontaspis cuspidata? (below) i found this in a really old argentine geology book is it correct?

2007122020418229.JPG

some from morocco. cretaceous. unknow formation. the same one with the mosasaurs.

2007122020276825.JPG

and a couple from texas. do these look familiar dan? south bosque formation, texas. cretaceous

2007122020382301.JPG

I'll start by saying that any teeth I know of from Argentina are early miocene. Your first pic looks like a mako, but if it had cusps that were broken off, obviously not. At least some of the ones with cusps are Carcharoides catticus if unserrated and C. totuserratus if they have fine serrations (more like wrinkles really). The last photo in your first post looks like a lower jaw symphyseal (center) tooth from a cow shark (Hexanchus?). The 2 tiger shark teeth under the penny are likely Galeocerdo aduncas. Your Moroccan teeth,clockwise from the top: probably Enchodus libycus (fish),Squalicorax pristodontis, at 6 o'clock is it broken? If not, maybe a posterior Squalicorax. At 9 o'clock is Cretolamna biauriculata maroccana. The texas teeth are also Squalicorax, probably falcatus. Hope this helps.

post-77-1198233883_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The South Bosque teeth are S. falcatus. This formation is exposed intermittently between the type locality just south of Waco on down south of Austin. This formation has given up most of my shark teeth from the Eagle Ford group. Collecting this formation generally is done by finding a thin glauconitc shell hash layer sandwiched between thick limestone overburden in a creek, then beating the overburden into submission with a 20 LB sledge and mining the glauconite. Often hundreds of teeth per day can be found if you find a good site. Cretoxyrhina, Cretolamna, Enchodus, Pachyrhizodus, and Ptychodus teeth can be found alongside the Squalis, as can Coniasaurus and turtle material and shark/fish verts.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

northern

they could very well be miocene. i got that age from an old and not so detailed geologic map. the area where they were found has both tertiary and quaternary sediments exposed. they are from the outskirts of the city of Trelew. whales, penguins, dolphins and marine mammals also can be found in the same general area.

brock

<snip> Your Moroccan teeth,clockwise from the top: probably Enchodus libycus (fish),Squalicorax pristodontis, at 6 o'clock is it broken? If not, maybe a posterior Squalicorax. At 9 o'clock is Cretolamna biauriculata maroccana. The texas teeth are also Squalicorax, probably falcatus. Hope this helps.

Brock . . .

The last Moroccan tooth, the ray tooth, is similar to one in my collection which is labeled:

Family Rhombodontidae Cappetta 1987

Rhombodus binkhorsti

Late K (Maestrichtian)

I see that this extinct family of rays occurs in the Maestrichtian of Texas, and is illustrated in the Welton & Farish book.

------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Brock . . .

The last Moroccan tooth, the ray tooth, is similar to one in my collection which is labeled:

Family Rhombodontidae Cappetta 1987

Rhombodus binkhorsti

Late K (Maestrichtian)

I see that this extinct family of rays occurs in the Maestrichtian of Texas, and is illustrated in the Welton & Farish book.

------Harry Pristis

Looks like you nailed it Harry. I don't know my rays that well and the only time I'd seen a photo of that species, it was a shot of the base. The base basically looks like 2 triangles that are mirrored about the nutrient groove. Ya learn somethin new every day. :)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

thanks guys. i think i got most all of them identified now.

the next round will be ecinoids. but i will save that for another day.

brock

Coincidentally, I'll probably be bumping into some R. binkhorsti in the Escondido fm of South TX tomorrow. They co-occur with Squalicorax pristodontus, Serratolamna serrata, Ginglymostoma lehneri, and a few others. Serratolamna tends to dominate the take in this formation and all the teeth tend to be heavily reworked, many missing cusplets. Should be a shindig anyhow, with some exploratory creeks in other Upper K formations to round out the day.

Bring on the echinoids. I'm best at the Cretaceous varieties.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

dan,

i sure hope you can help me id alot of the echies as you found most of them :D i also have afew that i have aquired elswere that i need help with.

maybe tomarrow i will start a new thread. i am pretty busy molding the ceratosaur skull i posted earlier.

brock

Looks like you nailed it Harry. I don't know my rays that well and the only time I'd seen a photo of that species, it was a shot of the base. The base basically looks like 2 triangles that are mirrored about the nutrient groove. Ya learn somethin new every day. :)

Well, we both learned something then (me, more than you, I suspect). I didn't know what these Moroccan shark teeth were until you id'ed Brock's tooth. I spent some time rummaging through my accumulations, and I found these among some other small teeth.

-----Harry Pristis

post-42-1198302788_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest