How?

RJB

I keep seeing how folks answer a post with the original post of the author in a 'white' box'. How do you do that?

RB

I keep seeing how folks answer a post with the original post of the author in a 'white' box'. How do you do that?

RB

You click on the "Quote" box in the right-hand corner of the message.

RB

Just be sure to type your reply outside the text box :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It doesn't work.

Hmmm...are on a computer? Click the "Quote" button first; your cursor will be blinking below it - ready for you to type.

post-420-0-47899700-1404482779_thumb.png

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There is a switch .. the first item in the toolbox.. make sure it is on.. before you hit the "quote" button

Ed

Edited by Mr_ed

post-423-0-61017700-1404494028_thumb.jpg

Also, your Flash Player might need updating.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes Auspex, that switch you have indicated says BBCode Mode. if it is not in the right position I cannot Quote..

Ed

Blinking curser? tool box? Switch? BBCode mode? Message box? Do you guys have any idea as to how all that is confusing to me!!!

Im sure I know that a blinkin curser is. But how do I find a 'tool box'? Im sure if I can find that I can click on a switch. I know this is super easy for some folks, but not for me. I do thank you guys for all the help though.

RB

Hmmm...are on a computer? Click the "Quote" button first; your cursor will be blinking below it - ready for you to type.

attachicon.gifRJB.PNG

attachicon.gifBBCode.JPG

Also, your Flash Player might need updating.

Ron, the images above should help you find what you need. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Blinking curser? tool box? Switch? BBCode mode? Message box? Do you guys have any idea as to how all that is confusing to me!!!

Im sure I know that a blinkin curser is. But how do I find a 'tool box'? Im sure if I can find that I can click on a switch. I know this is super easy for some folks, but not for me. I do thank you guys for all the help though.

RB

It is easy once you have figured it out, but it is not at all intuitive.

You type your comment in the message box. The tool bar is all of those icons above the message box. The cursor is the blinking line that shows where you are currently writing.

There are two ways to quote a comment. You can click the quote button in the comment first, which will automatically take you to the message box with the quote already in it. Left click in the space underneath the quote box, and write your words. You can also click inside the comment box, and delete any text that you aren't replying to.

If you want to write words first, and then add the quote or multiple quotes, you need to use the quote tool in the toolbar. It is the quote balloon that is to the left of the twitter icon.

Begin writing your comment.

Copy the text you want to quote by first highlighting it with your mouse. Right click on the highlighted text and choose copy from the list that will pop up.

Scroll back down to the message box and place the cursor in the box by clicking in it. Click on the quote balloon in the toolbar. It will give you an empty quote box with the cursor inside of it. Right click in the box and choose paste or paste as plain text* from the pop up list.

Go, RB, go... yes, you can

I usually use paste as plain text when I am quoting something from another website unless I want to include any links.

This avoids importing the font size and color scheme, which isn't always readable here on FF.