Complete Stingray Barb

busyeagle

I was out at a Miocene site this past Sunday and found my first ever complete stingray barb. I don't recall finding even a piece of one at this site before. It's remarkably small, but is in very good condition considering how delicate it is.

post-12673-0-33219100-1404824769_thumb.jpg

THEN, about two hours later and perhaps 200 feet away, in the freaky kind of coincidence that seems to occur more often than it should, I found another complete stingray barb. The second one is just a bit bigger:

post-12673-0-75879400-1404825318_thumb.jpg

post-12673-0-89996700-1404825319_thumb.jpg

Here are the two side by side for comparison:

post-12673-0-36302800-1404825321_thumb.jpg

Happy hunting!

Whoa!!! Awesome finds. I've only found 3 complete ones of that quality in 5+ years of collecting so I can attest 2 in one trip is pretty darn good. That larger one is amazing. Needs to go up in VFOTM section. Might not win but it is a worthy candidate based on commonality in that condition and size. Huge congrats.

THEN, about two hours later and perhaps 200 feet away, in the freaky kind of coincidence that seems to occur more often than it should, I found another complete stingray barb. The second one is just a bit bigger:

attachicon.gifstingray barb 1.jpg

attachicon.gifstingray barb 2.jpg

Here are the two side by side for comparison:

attachicon.gifstingray barb comparison.jpg

Happy hunting!

Kyle

Really nice!!!! That site can have some really large stingray barbs. I have part of a barb from that site that is in two pieces like the two back pieces of your large specimen and is almost 7 inches long. The forward piece had really not started to taper yet so I think the complete specimen would have been 10 to 12 inches long. I have been looking for that front piece for years. Finding the barbs complete is very difficult. You should definitely enter the large barb in VFOTM.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Whoa!!! Awesome finds. I've only found 3 complete ones of that quality in 5+ years of collecting so I can attest 2 in one trip is pretty darn good. That larger one is amazing. Needs to go up in VFOTM section. Might not win but it is a worthy candidate based on commonality in that condition and size. Huge congrats.

Thanks hh. I don't have any that come close to this so I was pretty excited. I probably will post it in FOTM; always nice to have some variety up there.

Kyle

Really nice!!!! That site can have some really large stingray barbs. I have part of a barb from that site that is in two pieces like the two back pieces of your large specimen and is almost 7 inches long. The forward piece had really not started to taper yet so I think the complete specimen would have been 10 to 12 inches long. I have been looking for that front piece for years. Finding the barbs complete is very difficult. You should definitely enter the large barb in VFOTM.

Marco Sr.

And I thought this one was big! You'll have to show me that piece some time. Thanks Marco!

Wow, the large barb is amazing. Def agree on FOTM. My personal best is the back section of a barb that is 5 inches long and almost 1 inch thick...if complete I estimate it would have been at least 10 inches long or more. I dug and sifted like crazy around the area that I found it but never found the front section.

Wow Kyle I like both of the barbs and to find them both in the same day well what can I say but way to go. That site has been very good to you. Keep it up George

Busyeagle,

I was going to congratulate you just for this one. I hunt on the west coast and have dug up only pieces in Bakersfield. My best is a 4-inch section found in two pieces (and I did look for the rest of it). I figured it would have been 7-8 inches long when it was complete. A friend once gave me a near-complete spine - missing maybe the last 1/8 - 1/4 inch of the tip - and it was one of the best ones he ever found. It's one of my prizes and only about two inches long.

You accept you were incredibly lucky to find two in a day, but true to your avatar, you were keeping your eyes open too. I might have been too pleased with myself to pay attention after finding the first one.

Anyone who has hunted for shark teeth over years would likely vote for you when you enter it for FOTM. Barbs are so fragile (apparently as delicate as a Hexanchus lower anterolateral but more vulnerable because of their length). They clink like glass when you gently tap one against another.

Miraculous finds!

Jess

I was out at a Miocene site this past Sunday and found my first ever complete stingray barb. I don't recall finding even a piece of one at this site before. It's remarkably small, but is in very good condition considering how delicate it is.

attachicon.gifstingray barb small.jpg

Hi,

They are marvelous ray barbs ! A long time ago I found à Miocene one, its size is 6" 7/10 (17 cm).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Those are really nice finds! It is amazing that something so fragile can be found complete.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Wow, the large barb is amazing. Def agree on FOTM. My personal best is the back section of a barb that is 5 inches long and almost 1 inch thick...if complete I estimate it would have been at least 10 inches long or more. I dug and sifted like crazy around the area that I found it but never found the front section.

Thanks Daryl. This barb had already broken into three pieces, and there was some separation between the sections, so at first I thought I only had the back half. Couldn't believe it when I saw the tip.

Wow Kyle I like both of the barbs and to find them both in the same day well what can I say but way to go. That site has been very good to you. Keep it up George

Good to hear from you George, and I appreciate it!

Busyeagle,

I was going to congratulate you just for this one. I hunt on the west coast and have dug up only pieces in Bakersfield. My best is a 4-inch section found in two pieces (and I did look for the rest of it). I figured it would have been 7-8 inches long when it was complete. A friend once gave me a near-complete spine - missing maybe the last 1/8 - 1/4 inch of the tip - and it was one of the best ones he ever found. It's one of my prizes and only about two inches long.

You accept you were incredibly lucky to find two in a day, but true to your avatar, you were keeping your eyes open too. I might have been too pleased with myself to pay attention after finding the first one.

Anyone who has hunted for shark teeth over years would likely vote for you when you enter it for FOTM. Barbs are so fragile (apparently as delicate as a Hexanchus lower anterolateral but more vulnerable because of their length). They clink like glass when you gently tap one against another.

Miraculous finds!

Jess

Thanks for the kind words Jess! I'll be sure to submit it for FOTM after all of this encouragement. :)

Hi,

They are marvelous ray barbs ! A long time ago I found à Miocene one, its size is 6" 7/10 (17 cm).

Coco

Thanks Coco!

Those are really nice finds! It is amazing that something so fragile can be found complete.

Thanks old bones!