Which Fossils ?

Gilligan

If you could pick one or two fossils from each of the eras for starting a collection, which ones would you choose?

1. Precambrian

2. Paleozoic

3. Mesozoic

4. Cenozoic

NOTE: If I go offline suddenly, it is because I use a public computer at a library (because I don't have one at home) and I'm only allowed two one-hour sessions daily, and my time ran out for the day. If I don't respond to an active post I'm involved with right away, I will within a day or two.

Edited by Gilligan

I would start with Precambrian. I would just love to find something that old.

Stromatolites come to mind.

For the Precambrian you need a stromatolite, and I would suggest a Nemiana as well (not too hard to get an example.. try ebay)

For the remaining 3 eras there is lots to choose from..

Paleozoic: trilobite, crinoid, brachiopod, any Carboniferous plant - especially the trilo

Mesozoic: ammonite, dino bone (incomplete chunks not hard to acquire)

Ceonozoic: things look much more like modern lifeforms so take your pick - snails and clams, shark tooth, Eocene lake deposits with fish and leaves (common in the West)...

For Cenozoic I would go ice age megafauna fossils like a mammoth tooth or hair sample. If that's too recent then perhaps some green river fish or baltic amber.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Pumpkinhead: I like them too.

Paleoworld-101: The Knightia Eocaena was the first fossil I bought.

If you could find a eurypterid fossil that would be an interesting pick for the Paleozoic category

Also if you had a eurypterid you would be able to say that you own a giant 400 million year old sea scorpion of death. It would be a great conversation starter

Each period has its iconic fossils; a pretty cool collection could be assembled from that list that would tell the story of life on Earth.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!