How Accurate Is This Repair.

THobern

When I saw a 3 1/4+" South Carolina, Great White Shark tooth on Ebay, I was naturally suspicious of the root repair. From what I could see, the bulk, if not all, of the root had been repaired. Still, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity and so I put a tentative, 200 dollar bid on the tooth. It seems that every other bidder was as suspicious as I was. The tooth sold for 177 dollars; not bad considering that the blade is unrepaired and perfect. The tooth looks fairly accurate to me and the root is roughly that of a similarly sized mako I recently sold. I'm not, however, very familiar with Great White teeth of this size, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the tooth. To me, the root lobes look a little too rounded and Megalodon-like. The tooth is pictured with a 3" Georgia mako tooth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34915113@N02/3255430246/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34915113@N02/...in/photostream/

I would agree it looks more like a meg than a GW. The root shape seems wrong as it should be flatter, more square. The depression in the center is too deep. Also, the outside corners of the root lobes should be more pointed, unless the restorer was going for a water-worn look. Still a monster of a tooth, and I guess you couldn't hurt the value having it restored again to a more correct shape.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Well, for what that beast does for the display cabinet, I don't think you overpaid :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I agree that the shape is off. I'll probably have it restored to a more accurate shape. Considering that the blade is 2 3/+", the tooth will still eclipse the 3" mark.