Shark Vert Vs Fish Vert

RyanNREMTP

14 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey hi Marco,

Did this ever get prepped?

Would love to see some pictures of it.

Tony

Tony

I know my son removed the teeth and vertebrae from the matrix.  I'll ask him if he has pictures.

I would definitely recommend getting a copy of the paper that Eric sited in his post above "A guide to identifying shark centra from southeastern Archaeological sites" by Laura Kozuch and Cherry Fitzgerald.   Note my copy has notes added to the original paper by one of the authors.

There is a methodology presented for the id of shark vertebrae (see Table 1 below) based upon the characteristics of the vertebra.

image.thumb.png.b207a0fa5a924ea0ad73fc036a7a82f9.png

image.thumb.png.4991420d85aea09f4120628705dc0ad6.png

and 5 pages of pictures like the below page.

image.thumb.png.0ff6f32b72d90d74cee8cc1a95c6a23d.png

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

55 minutes ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn: Thanks.

Tony

My son actually found associated ray vertebrae and scutes.  Unfortunately no teeth.  I had thought that he also had some teeth in the block.  You can see what he found at the below link in the video of his collection.  The video is 2 hrs and 15 minutes long.  If you go to around 1:25:53 in the video you can see the vertebrae and scutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNgZnEaTDY&feature=youtu.be

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Tony

My son actually found associated ray vertebrae and scutes.  Unfortunately no teeth.  I had thought that he also had some teeth in the block.  You can see what he found at the below link in the video of his collection.  The video is 2 hrs and 15 minutes long.  If you go to around 1:25:53 in the video you can see the vertebrae and scutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNgZnEaTDY&feature=youtu.be

Marco Sr.

Marco-

I took the liberty of snipping a couple images from the video to post. Here are the ray vertebrae and scutes.

rayverts.JPG

rayverts2.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Marco-

I took the liberty of snipping a couple images from the video to post. Here are the ray vertebrae and scutes.

rayverts.JPG

rayverts2.JPG

Eric

Thank you.  I need to learn how to get pictures from a video.

Marco Sr.

On 7/26/2014 at 1:18 PM, Harry Pristis said:

This is a smallish vertebra, 0.95" (24.2mm) at the widest, that was collected from the Bone Valley phosphates. Bony fish verts are much less common than shark centra in that marine deposit.

I thought for a long time that this vert must be from a bony fish because the neural spine is preserved. Plus, it doesn't look like a shark. But, it doesn't resemble the average bony fish vert, either.

The underside is damaged . . . the hemal process (or maybe a spine) is broken away. The centrum is dorso-ventrally compressed -- it's oval. I'm reminded of the oval centra of flattened rays and sharks.

Anyone have an idea what this vert is from?

post-42-0-69273800-1406394900_thumb.jpg

Yeah I've found a micro shark vert in my only phosphate mine club hunt, but found several small-large bony fish verts in the peace/Joshua creek. Unless there's tons of micro shark verts in the peace I'm missing, seems to be the opposite in peace river formation for some reason 

• 3 years later...

This thread has been referenced a couple times recently so I thought I would add an update to some ray centra I've found online from peer reviewed publications. I've added pictures of centra to this chart I got from Wikipedia that shows the 4 modern orders of batiods. There is one centrum for each of the 4 orders. All are round. I still haven't seen an oval centrum from a modern ray.

batoidea coparison.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the follow-up, Al Dente.  The author of this chart had to select ONE vertebra to represent each of the orders.  It makes sense that he would select homologous vertebrae, that is, he wouldn't present a thoracic vert of one order and a caudal from another.  A glaring presenter's bias when considering our inquiry here.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Thanks for the follow-up, Al Dente.  The author of this chart had to select ONE vertebra to represent each of the orders.  It makes sense that he would select homologous vertebrae, that is, he wouldn't present a thoracic vert of one order and a caudal from another.  A glaring presenter's bias when considering our inquiry here.

I was the one who added the centra photos to the chart. The centra photos are from various publications, mostly dealing with age determination of modern fish by counting the growth rings.