No Idea

steve71

Still no i.d. on that one yet? If you found it with that tusk? Maybe it is an elephant vert ?? Maybe a Tapir thoracic vert. Looks like a bison tooth with those points. Nice finds!!

Could be a nice sloth tooth with those nice points. Could you show the occlusal (grinding) view of the tooth? Looks like a tusk tip too. How big is it? Excellent Pleistocene finds.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Could be a nice sloth tooth with those nice points. Could you show the occlusal (grinding) view of the tooth? Looks like a tusk tip too. How big is it? Excellent Pleistocene finds.

I was thinking the same thing. Steve, could you show a pic of the other side of the vertebra? Nice flint!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Still no i.d. on that one yet? If you found it with that tusk? Maybe it is an elephant vert ?? Maybe a Tapir thoracic vert. Looks like a bison tooth with those points. Nice finds!!
sloth tooth with the points,we find all types of fossils in one area.real sticky place back in the day i bet.

yes a sloth tooth and a tusk tip. sold the tusk. its sitting on 2x6 you can get an estimate that way

What is that vert thing? It's driving me crazy!!! I can't think of a bone anywhere on anything that would look like that!!!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

yeah, i want to know what that bone is too. wonder what the other side looks like? my first thought was that maybe it could be a vert from something where it attaches to a pelvic or pectoral girdle, but of course there's no neural canal or anything on the visible side of it. if it isn't something like that, my guess would be that it's a solaragus (as opposed to astralagus) from a terrestrial cetacean, probably padheseatus triungus obscurus.