Our Very First Tooth - Big Brook, Monmouth County, Nj

anthracite31

Our very first tooth!!! This is a little dated, but since I'm new here and to fossil hunting I thought it to be appropriate. This was our first fossil outing. A beautiful day last fall in NJ at Big Brook.

post-15997-0-41503100-1406488382_thumb.jpg

post-15997-0-83018200-1406488506_thumb.jpg

post-15997-0-14001800-1406488656_thumb.jpg

post-15997-0-55490000-1406488688_thumb.jpg

It's always exciting to discover a fossil millions of years old. The first shark tooth I found at Big Brook was the same kind. It was tiny, I dropped and lost it. A couple of weeks ago found a nice sized tooth at the Colts Neck Nature Preserve, my first of any note.

You may want to explore some of the other Cretaceous sites in Monmouth County. There are several within a reasonable driving distance. Sharks teeth are harder to find at Big Brook now but I hear they are more plentiful at some of the other sites.

Edited by jpevahouse

Squalicorax is a nice first tooth; well done!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations both on the tooth and being able to share the fossil hunting experience with family!

Very nice, It's just the start of what can become an obsession tho lol :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!