Fossil Hunting On The Isle Of Wight

hollynotsowell

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have seen many posts about fossil hunting in America but I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has had any recent experience of fossil hunting on the IOW. I myself have been there a couple of times last year but found that access to the beaches, particularly on the south side are dangerous in places and most of the stairways have been destroyed by recent landslides. Has anyone any knoweledge of secret ways of getting to the beach along the coast from say St Catherines point to Compton bay?

Landslides make for bad access, but (after weathering) good fossiling; such are the hidden uses of adversity :)

Here, at Calvert Cliffs (Maryland), the resourceful use a boat, though I don't know whether that's practical in your instance.

With the number of UK members on the Forum, I'm sure someone with first-hand knowledge will weigh in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!