The Fossil Cache Of A Singapore Collector

-Andy-

Xiphactinus audax from Gove County, Kansas; courtesy of Kris (KansasFossilHunter)

post-4888-0-80193700-1440814428_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-28950200-1440814419_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The ones I've seen and have acquired have the specimen reset in original matrix hardened with a glue. A repair if needed is mixing white glue with some of the matrix.

Is that natural or has it been set in some kind of artificial matrix?

It's had its matrix removed, then set in plaster.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Crinoid (Traumatocrinus hsuixi) from Guizhou Province of China

post-4888-0-50660000-1441029862_thumb.jpg

Pteranodon jaw fossil from Kansas

post-4888-0-97874800-1441029857_thumb.jpg

Nice collection but Borealosuchus has a problem of anatomy

Great collection, but i have to agree with my French colleague... The teeth in the Borealosuchus are all wrong. I think they found a toothless jaw and put spare teeth in it. Also the turtle you have labeled as a soft shell is a pond turtle of some sort, not a soft shell. I don't like to correct peoples' collections, but it has to be done.

Great collection, but i have to agree with my French colleague... The teeth in the Borealosuchus are all wrong. I think they found a toothless jaw and put spare teeth in it. Also the turtle you have labeled as a soft shell is a pond turtle of some sort, not a soft shell. I don't like to correct peoples' collections, but it has to be done.

Thanks man, it's good that you're correcting me.

The Borealosuchus I agree, there are issues with it; the teeth doesn't fit. I wish I had some way of getting a more accurate ID for it; I despise labeling it as 'Unidentified species'.

As for the turtle, now that you mention it, I really haven't seen any Chinese soft-shell turtle like it. Well... it's back to the old drawing board then, time to find out what prehistoric turtles are known from China.

• 4 weeks later...

The Enigma Tooth of Java

Two fossil experts I highly respect are absolutely certain the root is faked. A group of big cat enthusiasts have examined this tooth from every possible angle and are sure this is the lost tooth of the Ngandong Tiger. It fits the size, general shape and Java was known to have tigers. Yet a respected US fossil feline expert says this is no feline but a marine mammal.

Perhaps this mystery will never be solved. For now I'll call it Tiger because there are stronger evidence for it being feline than not.

post-4888-0-79597300-1443273100_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-00097800-1443273105_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-03110900-1443273112_thumb.jpg

Enigma correct and a very nice story. Just don't throw it away :D it might turn out to be something else.

Enigma correct and a very nice story. Just don't throw it away :D it might turn out to be something else.

After a year of uncertainty, I finally locked down its ID as the Ngandong Tiger tooth. But another expert was adamant on it being something else, and linked me with a Chicago fossil feline expert. He confirmed it wasn't feline but marine mammal.

I then checked with Prehistoric Florida. He took a look and said, "Restored root. No way to know what animal it is."

I brought it to a fossil dealer experienced with Java fossils. He examined the root up close and said, "It's definitely real. A whale maybe?"

I checked the fossil record for Java. No whales there, only tigers and crocs. I showed cross section of the tooth(that helped the Chicago expert confirm it wasn't feline) to the group of feline experts, as well as measurements of its weight and length etc. Their reply, "More sure than ever, definitely Ngandong Tiger!"

My head hurts...

It should be spinning. Tells you how hard it is to identify certain isolated teeth. Interesting that the two canidates are between a whale and tiger. The label you were asking about in your other post should have both on it and maybe someday you will have closure.

Having said all that if Java has no fossil record of whales I wonder why the experts believe it's that? Did your Java fossil dealer expert address that. Is it possible the tooth did not originate from Java?

It should be spinning. Tells you how hard it is to identify certain isolated teeth. Interesting that the two canidates are between a whale and tiger. The label you were asking about in your other post should have both on it and maybe someday you will have closure.

Having said all that if Java has no fossil record of whales I wonder why the experts believe it's that? Did your Java fossil dealer expert address that. Is it possible the tooth did not originate from Java?

I've been looking at plenty of Java teeth. Mine conforms to the same general color and preservation.

The fossil dealer lampshaded it too. He though it strange, so he gave whale as a maybe ID. The feline experts linked me a few modern teeth which they said conformed to mine(only that since mine belongs to an Ngandong Tiger, it's bigger).

post-4888-0-08404200-1443537848_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-42314700-1443537851_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-56341300-1443537892_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mosasaur poo from Smoky Hill Chalk of Gove County, Kansas. This piece measures 4.02 inches long.

post-4888-0-56703400-1444445727_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-47464400-1444445733_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-78893600-1444445736_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Andy-

I think your tooth from Java is a big croc. You can see a hull on the side

And I'm not sure that your poo is from mosasaur. Mosasaur poo is similar than shark poo

Take a look at this one. It's from french mosasaur

http://www.paleotheque.fr/vertebres/fiche.php?id=123

I think your tooth from Java is a big croc. You can see a hull on the side

And I'm not sure that your poo is from mosasaur. Mosasaur poo is similar than shark poo

Take a look at this one. It's from french mosasaur

http://www.paleotheque.fr/vertebres/fiche.php?id=123

Croc was the initial ID for the Java tooth, but it's been thrown out due to the rounded root end.

As for the mosasaur, KansaFossilHunter found and ID-ed it. What creature do you think it could be?

Croc was the initial ID for the Java tooth, but it's been thrown out due to the rounded root end.

As for the mosasaur, KansaFossilHunter found and ID-ed it. What creature do you think it could be?

I've always wondered what research supports claims that a particular pile of poo belongs to a specific group of animals. In some cases, the associations are well established; in others....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I've always wondered what research supports claims that a particular pile of poo belongs to a specific group of animals. In some cases, the associations are well established; in others....

It's impossible to assign an exact type of animal, but it's likely mosasaur due to several reasons:

1) The size

2) The bone fragments within suggesting a generalist predator like shark/mosasaur, instead of fish-eating like say, Plesiosaur or Pteranodon

3) Mosasaur remains are common in this area and shark poo have a different shape

post-4888-0-69207200-1444668858_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-97252000-1444668866_thumb.jpg

Micromelerpeton credneri

Size: 7.1 inches from head to tail
Period: Permian
Approx. age: 280 mya
Formation/Layer: Rotliegend
Found: Niederhausen / Germany

Mosasaur and shark have the same poo. For me it's not mosasaur. Maybe croc

Well hey I can live with croc! They are extremely rare in the Smoky Hill Chalk.