Shark Tooth Terminology

cowsharks

I'm curious to know if there is a publication, produced by the scientific community, that lists/describes shark tooth terminology. I have an old copy of "A Key to the Common Genera of Neogene Shark Teeth" by Dr. Robert Purdy (2006), but to be honest, it raised more questions than provided answers. This isn't to say that the publication is less than accurate, but I didn't find answers to some questions such as better explanations of "symphyseal and parasymphyseal" tooth positions. A recent discussion with a fellow collector/friend regarding tooth positions in Hemipristis (serra) resurrected unanswered questions about which positions (if any) are considered symphyseal, parasymphyseal, etc. Also, especially with regards to symphyseal and parasymphyseal in particular, are certain tooth positions specifically relegated to only being found in the upper jaws, lowers jaws, or both?

So, if anyone knows of a publication that lists or defines the shark tooth terminology as accepted by the scientific community, I'd like to know what it is so I can get a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Daryl.

Have you looked at Bretton Kent book "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" ? Its not currently in publication but it has an appendix on terminology and sample dentitions.

Have you looked at Bretton Kent book "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" ? Its not currently in publication but it has an appendix on terminology and sample dentitions.

Is there any place to download the book? I could really use the education on shark teeth!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Is there any place to download the book? I could really use the education on shark teeth!

There doesn't appear to be an electronic download - available used HERE.

Kind of pricey, but probably worth it.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a copy of that book and will take a look at it, but am really interested in using something that I know the scientific community has agreed upon at large.

Thanks,

Daryl.

Daryl,

There really isn't a key like that although most terms are consistently used. A crown is a crown but a "heel" is still sometimes a "shoulder." You have to roll with the punches of the various authors with some of them from various countries.

Symphyseal is supposed to refer to a tooth (usually reduced in size and shape relative to the anteriors) directly on the symphysis so it would belong to a single file. Parasymphyseals are two (or perhaps more) files of reduced teeth on either side of the symphysis. Some people prefer one term for reduced teeth at or near the symphysis and between the anteriors so they call them all symphyseals.

Jess

I have a copy of that book and will take a look at it, but am really interested in using something that I know the scientific community has agreed upon at large.

Thanks,

Daryl.