Texas Velociraptor Skull...

Bekron

Becky went out searching this afternoon in the next neighborhood over. After watching Jurassic Park last night, she was certain she had unearthed a nice Velociraptor skull. Upon further cleaning and inspection it turned out to be a large bivalve of some sort. Maybe next time! <_<

post-1268-1234231696_thumb.jpgpost-1268-1234231659_thumb.jpg

Maybe it was a meat-eating bivalve that hunted in packs!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They went extinct because they were pretty slow...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

wait - hang the heck on! i have questions!

please answer these interrogatorismics in the order in which they're postulated.

#3 not meaning to be rude, but who the heck is becky?

#7 what's a velocipedeptor?

#326 how do you know it's not one of their skulls, other than the obvious seventy or eighty reasons?

#2 (gettin' close, huh?) <drumroll on this one, people> how do you know it's not a monovalve with a split personality?

#98 why exactly, (we need precision on this concept) does becky watch scary killer dinosaur movies and get the urge to go out and find clams?

sometimes it just seems to me like the whole world's out on a quest to make me feel normal. but it's not working people, so go back to those day jobs and buy, buy, buy us out of crisis. credit is very american, you know...

p.s. - good post, bekron. you'll get a lot of mileage out of those sorts of bm's. (bivalve molds, you potty-minded peeps)

p.p.s. - i just reread the above and i'm lame in the extreme tonight, which i prefer to interpret as just being extremely tired, so i'm going to sleep. and hope i don't dream. sheesh.

The bigger question is "how can a fossil collector have such perfect nails"?

The bigger question is "how can a fossil collector have such perfect nails"?

Yeah - one look at my grubby nails suggests that I mine coal with my fingertips.........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That is an internal mold of a Pachymya or "shoe clam". It's most likely from the Mainstreet formation.

The other common fossils in that formation are the Turrelites (heteromorph ammonites) that look like a big bumpy twisty bread and the CoenHolectypus urchins that look like a cousin to a sand dollar.

Mainstreet Formation

That is an internal mold of a Pachymya or "shoe clam". It's most likely from the Mainstreet formation.

The other common fossils in that formation are the Turrelites (heteromorph ammonites) that look like a big bumpy twisty bread and the CoenHolectypus urchins that look like a cousin to a sand dollar.

Mainstreet Formation

I think you are correct. Everything you mentioned is turning up in that area. Still would like a complete large Turrelite. And those urchins are a nice change from the usual echinoids.