Unknown Oddity Found At Limestone Roadcut

geodan03

I commonly find these at roadcuts. It is from either dolostone or limestone. It could be some kind of calcit crystal growth within the limestone itself. Pseudofossils and other oddities fascinate me, so i usually end up taking them home. These 2 pics arent that good, soon i will be buying a better camera that would allow me to take close up photographs. Thanks for your patience.

post-932-1234395999_thumb.jpg

post-932-1234396024_thumb.jpg

Fairly sure you've found calcite. It will form in the fault fractures of the "limestone". There are a variety of local names, but it's still mostly calcite. If you drop one into a bowl of vinegar, it should start fizzing rather quickly.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest Nicholas

Hrmm I seem to recall I have something very similar...

post-163-1234400011_thumb.jpg

Does it resemble this piece by any chance?

I believe it is either mineral or fossil wood.

I believe it is either mineral or fossil wood.

Limestone is formed in what paleo environment?? (SMACK!) Back to the books, Nick. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Bee just got a peice that is very similar from the lapidary society and it was labeled petrified wood. I'm not sure of the location it was found. It has layers that can be seen if it is looked at on the ends. But I'm no expert!

Hi! I'm a new member and I joined because my daughter loves goeolgy! She is 13 and has been bringing home rocks since before she could walk. She is in 4-H and she does the geology project too. For this summer's fair she is doing a project on copper minerals.

And BTW the avatar pic is not me, it's her!

Guest solius symbiosus
Limestone is formed in what paleo environment?? (SMACK!) Back to the books, Nick. :P

While maybe not common, I've seen some clastic carbonates. -_-

x-bedding in near shore clastics.

post-179-1234406457_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your input. The resemblance to petrified wood is only slight. It is a kind of calcite growth within the limestone. I did use vinager and it efforvesced (spell??) / bubbled alot, so thats solved. I find alot of these things all over the place. When i find these i also seem to find very few fossils tho, might be a good reason for that. I got this fella along with some nice dolomite filled geodes near Belleville, IL.

...Pseudofossils and other oddities fascinate me, so i usually end up taking them home...

Ya Mon, I hear ya' :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Shush I missed limestone.

My eyes are still crossed from micro fossil dirt.

i would call them blurry picturs haha, not sure but they look like some kind of crystal

Ernie and I collected over 2000 pounds of fossil wood at Belgrade. Took three trips using different methods to get it in the truck. Now in the front yard our six foot dragon has fossil wood. Planing to get a life size wizard to go with it too.

The best days are spent collecting fossils