Out Of The Creek

Frank Menser

post-1313-1234467730_thumb.jpg

Collected this in the Green Mill Run, Greenville North Carolina. It is about 4" long and 2" thick. Any ideas?

Be true to the reality you create.

Hunter,

Thanks for the reply. It is only slightly magnetic and while heavy for its size is not as heavy as a pyrite I have of roughly the same mass. Are you thinking Goethite? (an early suspect not ruled out).

~Frank

Guest N.AL.hunter

Actually I am thinking one of two things, a chunk of Iron artifact from a smelter or some other man made thing, or a meteorite. If it is natural and not a meteorite, then it is high quality iron ore/hemitite. But not sure of anything.

Ok, I seem to be having probs with the posting on this place..... :faint:

It doesn't have a metalic quality to it. If you are familiar with goethite the radiating strirations on this suggest that crystal structure. The thing is this came out of an active creek bed off the Tar river where there is a lot of fossil material of the same color (rich in Phosphate) from whale and Mastodon, however this is heavier than the fossil material.

that's a piece of a fossilized journalist. i call 'em mediawrites.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

It does look like a nice chunk of "bog iron".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...
post-1313-1234467730_thumb.jpg

Collected this in the Green Mill Run, Greenville North Carolina. It is about 4" long and 2" thick. Any ideas?

Frank,

You probably have an answer by now--but that fossil is part of stingray dermal denticle. I have a few of those really large ones from Lee Creek. Your appears to be highly re-worked but maybe not. These things sometimes grow in strange shapes.

Frank,

You probably have an answer by now--but that fossil is part of stingray dermal denticle. I have a few of those really large ones from Lee Creek. Your appears to be highly re-worked but maybe not. These things sometimes grow in strange shapes.

Really? Great googly moogly! It's two inches thick; how big did those stingrays get?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have found a lot of ray material in the GMR. I gotta ask too, How big DO they get???

post-1313-1237679823_thumb.jpg