Hey Guys, I'm New Here And I Have A Stupid Question *please Read*

thefossilkid

I got this megalodon shark tooth quite some time ago of a website online (i think it was stevesfossilsharkteeth.com) and it was only 80.00! and i was looking at other megalodon shrk teeth and mines different, do you think this is fake? Heres some pics. sorry there so crappy they are cell phone pics:(

heres the back

FOSSILSHARKTOOTH002.jpg

the front

FOSSILSHARKTOOTH004.jpg

the top

FOSSILSHARKTOOTH006.jpg

and another front shot

FOSSILSHARKTOOTH001.jpg

and a close up shot

FOSSILSHARKTOOTH003.jpg

The tooth is black in person. can you please tell me if this is real or not? thanks

Jake.

Thanks, were do you think the repair is so i can look and maybe take more pics. to show you.

Jake.

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks, were do you think the repair is so i can look and maybe take more pics. to show you.

not sure lol i cant tell from your pictures, repairs usually have something to do with a part of the root

i doubt that it's fake, but you need to get a real camera and post some better pictures if you'd like us to tell you if we spot any repairs.

welcome to the forum.

tracer

i doubt that it's fake, but you need to get a real camera and post some better pictures if you'd like us to tell you if we spot any repairs.

welcome to the forum.

tracer

Thanks, yeah i know its not necessaraly the phone because it takes good pics. but its the light, for some reason it takes horrible pics. inside but great pics. outside so tomorrow i will take it outside and take much better pics.Thanks

Jake.

Guest solius symbiosus

I know next to nothing about teeth. I just wanted to say that there is no such thing as a stupid question, there are only stupid answers. ;)

Welcome to the forum. It looks fine to me and if you bought it from Steve Alter, I have no doubts that its legit. What is it about the tooth that makes you thing somethings funny?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

what do you mean yours is different? there is a wide range of "looks" in meg teeth, yours I think was a good buy for $80, it has some wear but at 4.63745" (just a guess) slant height what can you expect. But that may be why it looks different to you from other teeth you are now seeing, colour, ammount of wear on the bourlet and enamel etc. but I'm a dino hunter so take all that with a grain of salt :)

Thanks, i dont know, its just the way its feels, it feels... well..... fake lol the root feels fake idk and the price. Ive see some shark teeth the same size go for hundreds and i just though why mine was so cheap.Thanks

Jake.

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks, i dont know, its just the way its feels, it feels... well..... fake lol the root feels fake idk and the price. Ive see some shark teeth the same size go for hundreds and i just though why mine was so cheap.Thanks

they may had added something to the root to make it shine, that sometimes makes the root feel odd. Some teeth just have heavy roots and some have light roots if that helps at all

I really really really doubt that your tooth has repair or is fake if you bought that tooth from steve's fossil's I bet my life on it that it is not fake most dealers do not sell repaired teeth/////// that is well known dealers like steve looking at your pics it does not seem to have any repair to it. thanks sharkdentist

ps I will look at your new pics in the A.m to tell you more

post-1253-1234496716_thumb.jpg

I really really really doubt that your tooth has repair or is fake if you bought that tooth from steve's fossil's I bet my life on it that it is not fake most dealers do not sell repaired teeth/////// that is well known dealers like steve looking at your pics it does not seem to have any repair to it. thanks sharkdentist

ps I will look at your new pics in the A.m to tell you more

WOW! did you find all those teeth yourself? I would love to have a collection like that! if you ever want to sell any let me know!!!

Jake.

ok, cutting to the chase a bit. if the tooth you bought is heavy and feels like smooth stone, it's going to be a real tooth. if the price was low, it's not normally going to have a bunch of repair, because people who repair teeth do so to jack the price. the reason the price was low, probably, is that the tooth has fairly large hydration cracks on the root and a fair amount of wear on it. expensive teeth have each little serration on the edge of the blade perfect, etc.

we still could look at some better pics and be more sure, but i think you probably ought to start enjoying your new tooth and making it comfy in your collection...

regards,

tracer

I know next to nothing about teeth. I just wanted to say that there is no such thing as a stupid question, there are only stupid answers. ;)

guess you never read one of mine :P , welcome to the club kid

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Welcome to the forum. It looks fine to me and if you bought it from Steve Alter, I have no doubts that its legit. What is it about the tooth that makes you thing somethings funny?

Totally agree! Steve is not going to sell anyone a fake meg. :)

A tooth that size would have some weight. I have both a fake, and a real tooth about 4.5 inches long, and you can tell the difference just by the weight of them. If it feels light, it could be fake, but like many others have stated, the site you got it from is a good site.