Last Minute Discovery Of Whale Skull In New Zealand

Doctor Mud

Hey Carcharodontosaurus,

Kakanui is a great place if you want to look for sharks teeth.

I've collected from there many times and saw shark rostral spines (esp. from Pristiophorus and Ikamauius), and Mako shark teeth. If you are lucky you might find a mega-shark (Carcharocles angustidens) tooth - they have been found from there.

Keep an eye out for penguin remains too. I think one of the first identified fossil penguin remains from New Zealand (a tarso-metatarsus or ankle bone) came from Kakanui.

Happy hunting!

I certainly do hope to find a mako tooth. Carcharocles would be awesome as well but it's not very likely.

Any advice for searching?

Hi Carcharodontosaurus,

I sent you a PM with some tips on hunting for sharks teeth at Kakanui.

I look forward to see what you find. Good luck!

Thanks guys!

It wasn't perfect - but I have always wanted to find an odontocete skull for some reason - ever since I saw the Waipatia specimen in Ewan's paper.

It was an interesting trip and reminded me that patience pays off when prospecting (try saying that 10 times fast!).

Also you don't always find what you set out to find (for me angustidens) but nature always has a way of surprising us.

I am fascinated by the science of fossils - and that I am looking at the remains of an animal that lived millions of years ago.

I also get a huuuge buzz at that moment of discovery.......it must have been funny for Ewan and Sophie......I bet I was like a kid again when I found the first tooth :) Definitely a major highlight of fossil hunting that I will treasure.

It was also nice to help Ewan Fordyce out with locating this specimen. He encouraged me and took the time to identify the fossils we brought in years ago.....(starting about 25 years ago I think!). I had never had the opportunity to collect a fossil in the field with him though and that was also a great experience.

Edited by Doctor Mud