Morocco Croco

KALA

hi,

this is some type of croc that is from morocco. actually its some sort of gavial. i believe it comes from the Oulad Abdoun Basin. i am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what specific species of gavial they believe it may be. i know, its still in the matrix, but any guesses? what you ar eseeing is the skull upside down along with various post cranial bones. the dentary showing in the 2nd pict is about 7-8 inches long, so this skull is probably a juvenile and only about 15-17" long total.

thanks for any and all help

kala

post-207-1234503813_thumb.jpg

post-207-1234503830_thumb.jpg

Wow, great fossil!

Papers on the fossil fauna Oulad Abdoun Basin are really hard to come by; I can't help with your gavial, but I'll be watching this thread for related references :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

kala with the species listed above i found this

it looks like it is it i also found an article on bioone just google Argochampsa krebsi and it is like three down. even from the same locality as yours

Brock

post-37-1234548068_thumb.jpg

post-37-1234548090_thumb.jpg

post-37-1234548097_thumb.jpg

post-37-1234548104_thumb.jpg

thanks everyone for your input. thanks brock for digging up those pictures. that looks like pretty covienceing identification. bill, thanks for suggesting the specisis, how did you know? are you familiar with them?

this is a project i found down in tucson.

Hi KALA,

No, I seem to remember reading about one a few years ago. I had forgotten about it until I saw yours. The name just popped into my mind from the deep recesses of my brain.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

...The name just popped into my mind from the deep recesses of my brain.

That's just a teensy bit scary :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's just a teensy bit scary :o

Even scarier for me. At the same time as I forgot about the croc, I forgot I had a brain. What a shock when I remembered.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi KALA,

No, I seem to remember reading about one a few years ago. I had forgotten about it until I saw yours. The name just popped into my mind from the deep recesses of my brain.

I looked into my recesses and came out with dust and cobwebs

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....