Gainesville Finds Feb. 12 And 13

gatorjames85

I'm getting back into fossiling now that duck season is over. These are some pics from my past two trips. I gave most of my small teeth to a kid that was fossiling the same creek. The gold Isurus with the corner missing hurt me bad; it would have been over 2". The biggest meg made up for it though. Not massive, but in excellent shape, especially for the location.

post-289-1234653222_thumb.jpg

post-289-1234653240_thumb.jpg

post-289-1234653328_thumb.jpg

Very nice finds and nice to see another G'ville fossil hobbyist posting his finds! Very cool to see such a large and intact meg from Gainesville. :)

jason

I'm getting back into fossiling now that duck season is over. These are some pics from my past two trips. I gave most of my small teeth to a kid that was fossiling the same creek. The gold Isurus with the corner missing hurt me bad; it would have been over 2". The biggest meg made up for it though. Not massive, but in excellent shape, especially for the location.

Great finds, been a while since I've found such a nice one; what general area where you hunting?

Cool finds! So you duck hunt also GJ all of us locals need to get togher an do some creek hunting. Man, I love to duck hunt where do you hunt. B)B)B):D

post-23-1234745835_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

This year, I hunted Orange Lake mainly, which was totally overrun with people. Even worse, the level of hunting ethics was very low. When the water conditions are better I hunt down around Clermont on some private ponds. As far as getting a group together for creek time, I am ready to go if my schedule permits. Like the pic of the black bellies by the way.

This year, I hunted Orange Lake mainly, which was totally overrun with people. Even worse, the level of hunting ethics was very low. When the water conditions are better I hunt down around Clermont on some private ponds. As far as getting a group together for creek time, I am ready to go if my schedule permits. Like the pic of the black bellies by the way.

I'm up for it on some weekend day, maybe the weekend of the 28th of February?

jason

I'm up for it on some weekend day, maybe the weekend of the 28th of February?

jason

Got a wedding in Ft. Lauderdale the 28th, sorry. My weekends and Friday afternoons are usually free though. Just message me in the future if you want to go.

• 2 months later...

Nice finds GJ

I came up for the O&B game and walked ridgeview creek real quick after checking into the hotel and before it got dark. I found a few hemi's a meg without most of the root, and a few meg and maco bits. I also found what looks like a chunk of some herbivore molar with part of the crown. I may post pics later of that one.

I'm thinking of of getting my small but perfect meg with the little nubs near the root mounted in a gold setting now that I am working and not living on a college student's budget.

Cool finds! So you duck hunt also GJ all of us locals need to get togher an do some creek hunting. Man, I love to duck hunt where do you hunt. B)B)B):D

Why are the ducks following that Egret..Heron?....It looks like they're getting some sort of feeding tutorial.

Nice finds GJ

I came up for the O&B game and walked ridgeview creek real quick after checking into the hotel and before it got dark. I found a few hemi's a meg without most of the root, and a few meg and maco bits. I also found what looks like a chunk of some herbivore molar with part of the crown. I may post pics later of that one.

I'm thinking of of getting my small but perfect meg with the little nubs near the root mounted in a gold setting now that I am working and not living on a college student's budget.

Good deal man, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is going well for you, let me know if you are in town again and want to get after some teeth.

Sweet finds! Same about that broken mako :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Nice teeth. Hunted Gainesville in the seventies and again in the later eighties in what was called (as I remember) Rattlesnake Branch. Never found any Megs that good, but a lot of vert remains there.

I met one fellow who had found a nice Smilodon gracilis skull there. Though the lower jaw was missing and it only had one saber it was really wild!

Be true to the reality you create.

Nice teeth. Hunted Gainesville in the seventies and again in the later eighties in what was called (as I remember) Rattlesnake Branch. Never found any Megs that good, but a lot of vert remains there.

I met one fellow who had found a nice Smilodon gracilis skull there. Though the lower jaw was missing and it only had one saber it was really wild!

That's like winning the lottery while getting hit by lightning. I hardly find any terrestrial material in the creeks, although I have heard about people occasionally finding mammoth partial teeth and sloth teeth.

That's like winning the lottery while getting hit by lightning. I hardly find any terrestrial material in the creeks, although I have heard about people occasionally finding mammoth partial teeth and sloth teeth.

Found about 1/4 of a mastodon tooth in one of the creeks last time I hunted. Certain stretches produce a fairly good number of horse teeth.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Found about 1/4 of a mastodon tooth in one of the creeks last time I hunted. Certain stretches produce a fairly good number of horse teeth.

That's interesting, I have only found one horse tooth. I find a ton of partially mineralized deer and bison/cow teeth, but very little legitimate pleistocene fossils. I like that plummet in your profile picture, btw.