Last Week Trip To A Carboniferous Mine Dump

sharklover

Hello

Last week I'm going with a friend to an old mine dump near Brunssum in Holland ,where you can find Carboniferous plant fossils,and when you have luck very rare animal prints.

Here some pictures of me finds.

The names ,I have no idea.

Maybe someone can help.?

While plant fossils have not my main interest, most of them i can trade.

Cor

post-150-1234694932_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234694953_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234694968_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695001_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695011_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695042_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695051_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695075_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695094_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695117_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695125_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695156_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695168_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695198_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695209_thumb.jpg

post-150-1234695243_thumb.jpg

Calling docdutronc! There's a trove of Carboniferous vegetation awaiting your scholorship!

Great finds Cor :)

Where (approximately) is the site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would love to find stuff like that. Cool for you!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome stuff......Looks like a Stigmaria (root with small circular rootlet scars) , Calamites (longitudinally ribbed and grooved compressions of the pith of the plant) and lots of Lepidodendron material (diamond shaped scalelike leaf cushion impressions) amongst the other ferns....Really Super! Thanks for posting. Will wait for the resident expert docdutronc for comments/and the actual specifics. Best Regards!

yeah, i gotta go read up on gollywanda and pangolingea some more and figure out how these continents were connected back when ya'll fossils hung out together back when they wuzn't on opzit side of the marble. you get my drift?

Wow, what a blast from the past! I lived near Brunssum when I was 11-12, in fact I went to school there. There was (maybe still is) a big NATO base there, where my father was stationed for a couple of years. I used to go out at lunch and collect plant fossils, maybe from that same tailings dump. I still have a couple of trays of fossils from there I've been carting around for 40 years. Thanks for the photos, they bring back memories.

Don

Second row down, third photo from the left, the fern is Alethopteris. Bottom row, middle 2 (same specimen), the fern may be Mariopteris. Several Lepidodendron specimens as well, and at least one Calamites, as others have noted.

Don

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice stuff! I plan to hit some Pennsylvanian outcrops this year... if the leg heals.

yeah, i gotta go read up on gollywanda and pangolingea some more and figure out how these continents were connected back when ya'll fossils hung out together back when they wuzn't on opzit side of the marble. you get my drift?

HERE is a good blog post that debunks the "Expanding Earth" nonsense using arguments relevant to your quest.