You Think That Will Stop Me! Well Your Wrong.

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

I cant beleive I just deleted that whole thing~!!!!!~!~!!~! Yes I just wrote maybe my longest report only to delete it so lets see how it goes this time. :faint::faint:-_-

So my father woke me up just like he does every morning before we go fossiling and everything seemed like a normal day, well this would turn out to be an unusual and eventful trip for us. We get down to the collecting area only to find it trashed! Gravel had been tossed about and this person even had the nerve to dig in the cliff. I had expected us to have a good day today because two days before I went down to the beach to do a little prospecting and found a couple great spots for our hunt on Saturday. Well someone came down on friday and found these same spots. <_< So on my walk down the beach I had only found 1 otodus and basicly nothing else. So I go and talk to my dad, I tell him about this spot that I read about and how we should give it a try because well, we are not going to find anything here today sadly enough. He says sure and we head off to the car. After a little driving we make it to this new beach. Then we see two guys walking twoards us and now im thinking that we should have stayed at the other beach, at least we would have been alone. When we met the two hunters we asked them if they had found anything and they said not much only 5 sand tigers and the other guy had basicly the same amount of teeth. Now I was thinking that this could be really good or it could be really bad, these guys might have left us all the teeth to find or on the other hand this icould be a place where teeth are far and in between, not many teeth to find at all! Well right after we passed the two guys we started to find teeth, small sand tigers and I even found a geode that looks like an egg!!! :P:P:faint: So we kept on walking and there was a time where we were not finding anything and then we came to a section where the footprints stoped, so I began to look really close thinking that a big tooth could be right in front of me, well I was right! In the water I see enamel, and pull out a huge!!! but broken otodus, still it was something and something is better than nothing. Then I started to find really nice fresh teeth but nothing huge like the otodus. I wasnt finding much so I decided to turn around and give the high line a try, and boy did it pay off. The first tooth I found was a 2" otodus, no cusps but still a nice size. Then on the other side of tree I found a 1 3/4" sand tiger. Then I hit a dry spell, I was finding teeth but they were smaller and the otodus were broken. I find my dad and he shows me the crab claw he found, (not sure how rare they are from the river), I show him what I found and tell him that the high line is really paying off so I walk back up there and begin to look. So does my dad who buts in front of me ( this is where the story really gets good) well he butts in front of me and then tells me that there is nothing good up here and that all the good teeth are down by the water. So I say to him that I bet I will find something nice right behind you, and sure enough not even 10 seconds after I said that I find a 2 5/8" otodus!!!! I was shocked and I think so was my dad. He gives the excuse that he would have never seen it because of its color. haha!!! Well it was getting late so we began to walk back to the car, on the way back I found 2 more broken otodus in the water, they would have been on the beach on the way down Im not sure how I missed them. Awsome trip I think.

hey can anyone tell if the tooth to the right of the crab claw is a reef shark or something, it looks alot like them to me

post-17-1234714105_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

last few for now, i was thinking that i had found two croc teeth but the tooth on the left is different not sure what it is but it sparkles haha :P

post-17-1234724165_thumb.jpg

post-17-1234724184_thumb.jpg

post-17-1234724197_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Very cool Story. It must me great to be able to go collecting with your Father. It makes these finds that much more special. Thanks for sharing.

yea its great, I hope to carry on the tradition when Im older.

Guest bmorefossil
Yes that is a reefshark, Carcharoides.

Nice trip!

Regards,

Martijn

ah sweet, im gonna look through my teeth see how many i have, haha i had no idea you could find them. thanks martijn

Guest bmorefossil
Very cool! Sounds like it was a great father/son trip! I love those croc teeth!

the one on the left im not sure about im thinking its something else.

Don't you just love days like that! Glad you had a good time and some great finds!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest bmorefossil
You just have to love it when it all comes together like that. Great finds! B)B)B):D

yea its nice but i also like where everything is laying out in front of me so i know whats going to happen.

Guest bmorefossil
Nice report and pics, and that's one awesome toad! Bison tooth too?

toad ??? lol yes a bison tooth but not a fossil, found some great stuff today you know its good when you get back at 7pm well most of the time i was not looking for fossils, i only looked for at most 2 hours.

toad ??? lol yes a bison tooth but not a fossil, found some great stuff today you know its good when you get back at 7pm well most of the time i was not looking for fossils, i only looked for at most 2 hours.

Yeah, LOL, toad = Otodus.

JMHO, but I don't think that tooth is Carcharoides unless it's from a Miocene deposit. They appeared in the Oligocene, but it's my understanding that there aren't any marine Oligocene deposits in Maryland. Is any of the close up shots of that tooth? If so, which one?

If you found the tooth among the Aquia or Nanjemoy formations, it could be Hypotodus verticalis (formerly Carcharias hopei), Brachycarcharias lerichei (if the blade is striated), or Jaekelotodus robustus. It looks like from the first pic that it could be J. robustus.

Kevin Wilson

Yeah, LOL, toad = Otodus.

JMHO, but I don't think that tooth is Carcharoides unless it's from a Miocene deposit. They appeared in the Oligocene, but it's my understanding that there aren't any marine Oligocene deposits in Maryland. Is any of the close up shots of that tooth? If so, which one?

If you found the tooth among the Aquia or Nanjemoy formations, it could be Hypotodus verticalis (formerly Carcharias hopei), Brachycarcharias lerichei (if the blade is striated), or Jaekelotodus robustus. It looks like from the first pic that it could be J. robustus.

I agree, and to me it looks more like a broad sand tiger teeth of some sort than C. catticus. Great find, regardless!

Thanks,

Eddie

OK, using Elasmo's classifications (keeping Kent in mind), I'm assuming based on the pics posted that the crown is smooth on the labial side, ruling out Brachycarcharias. That leaves Hypotodus rutodi and Jaekelotodus robustus robustus. The labial crown doesn't appear to overhang the root, as in Jaekelotodus robustus and Paleohypotodus rutoti, therefore it's my amateur and totally unprofessional humble opinion that it's Hypotodus verticalis.

Here's link to a pic from elasmo, from a Nanjemoy tooth, upper lateral:

Hypotodus verticalis - Nanjemoy

I guess what amazes me about these teeth, when comparing them, how similar and mako like they are. Yet, when you compare them to modern sand tigers, like Carcharias taurus upper lateral teeth, they're much more robust. Mako's and other modern day mackerel sharks are much more predatory, less grasping type teeth, than moder sand tigers...and your tooth seems much more mako like to me. I'm rambling, but my sense of what these sharks were like back then, even though the teeth are similar to C. taurus, that these sharks were more agile predators and more mako like. I'm purely speculating, but that's my imagination. The diversity of mackerel and sand tiger sharks 50-100 million years ago compared to now is amazing, and certainly a threat to any land or marine vertebrate, particularly mammals that entered the water during those times. Maybe those more robust teeth were perfect for eating turtles and fish to fit a more varied diet? Why did such a perfect predator go extinct?

I can only imagine.

Kevin Wilson