Pictures Of Creek And Shell I Found With Tube Worms

barefootgirl

I found this in my creek. I almost through it down because it was just an oyster shell but when I looked inside it had a petrified clam, snail and some tube worms in it. I assume they're tube worms am I wrong? I also found some small snails shells in concretions.

post-1082-1234806764_thumb.jpg post-1082-1234807466_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1234806861_thumb.jpg

This is some pictures of my creek I took while hunting with traviscounty. We didn't find much that day but we had a good time trying to.

post-1082-1234807069_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1234807181_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1234807255_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice finds! Petrification is an archaic term that refers to a specific type of fossilization in which the original material has been both replaced, and permineralized, with silica. :)

Nice finds! Petrification is an archaic term that refers to a specific type of fossilization in which the original material has been both replaced, and permineralized, with silica. :)

Please excuse my lowly terminology there. I know how it must offend you better edumucated folks :P

:P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest solius symbiosus

^^I didn't mean to come off as pedantic, but many years ago I was taken to task for referring to a fossil as "petrified" by a stern old paleontologist, though, she was a good mentor. She was one of the few women in the field when it was dominated by men.

I guess ever since then the term "petrified" has been a pet peeve.

It's nice to have an image of your creek to go with your stories; thanks :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Deepfried or petrified I think they are cool, great finds.

Thanks for the photo's I like the creek, I whish I was there.

Anywhere, where things are not frozen solid :D

Great pics barefootgirl. Looks like your "clam" could be a Lopha sp.

post-420-1234837920_thumb.jpgpost-420-1234838310_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

whoa! that's a huge lopha something.

say did anyone else notice that the guy's background is littered with artifacts and he's pickin' up the oyster shells instead?

Petrified is a term best used when the fossil limb you just picked up turns out to be a poisonous snake.

I found this in my creek. I almost through it down because it was just an oyster shell but when I looked inside it had a petrified clam, snail and some tube worms in it. I assume they're tube worms am I wrong? I also found some small snails shells in concretions.

post-1082-1234806764_thumb.jpg post-1082-1234807466_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1234806861_thumb.jpg

This is some pictures of my creek I took while hunting with traviscounty. We didn't find much that day but we had a good time trying to.

post-1082-1234807069_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1234807181_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1234807255_thumb.jpg