Any Ideas About This One?

shorty

Hello!

What do you think of this? Is it just a twig in the middle of a blob?

Maybe a Cyclus Americanus?

Mazon Creek concretion, pit 11, Kankakee County, IL

post-1206-1234851064_thumb.jpg post-1206-1234851055_thumb.jpg post-1206-1234851041_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much!

Kim

I vote for a (very well defined) Cyclus; very nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Jimmy.

I thought it might be something like that but, googleing Cyclus brought up loads of hits for cycling and de-inked waste paper, etc.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Thanks Jimmy.

I thought it might be something like that but, googleing Cyclus brought up loads of hits for cycling and de-inked waste paper, etc.

Thank you too, Jimmy! & Crinus!

Should I just label this one Cyclus? or do I need to figure out the species? (if that's even possible?)

Should I just label this one Cyclus? or do I need to figure out the species? (if that's even possible?)

As far as I know, your choices for Mazon Creek are either Cyclus americanus or Cyclus americanus. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

As far as I know, your choices for Mazon Creek are either Cyclus americanus or Cyclus americanus. :P

:)

There's a man on ebay who has three different species he's offering up for sale. Cyclus americanus, obesus & halicyne.

Richardson's guide describes them - I'm not home or I'd look them up. halicyne is the rarest ??- I think it says it has a decorated shell.

Anyway - Cyclus is good enough? -unless I want to start selling it for the big bucks on ebay? ;)

Are all three known from Mazon?

Man, I'm way out of date.

Actually there are only two species under the Cyclus, amercanus and obesus. The other cycloids have their own genus and are Halicyne max and Apionicon apioides. All are found at Mazon Creek localities. That makes four. Those of us that collected there years ago use to put these in the class Cycloidea and that is no longer valid. The class is Maxillopoda. All cyclus go onto the subclass Halicyna and the Order is Cycloidea.

The reference for all of this is JP 71(2) 1997. Mazon Creek Cycloidea, Schram, Vonk and Hof.

Actually there are only two species under the Cyclus, amercanus and obesus. The other cycloids have their own genus and are Halicyne max and Apionicon apioides. All are found at Mazon Creek localities. That makes four. Those of us that collected there years ago use to put these in the class Cycloidea and that is no longer valid. The class is Maxillopoda. All cyclus go onto the subclass Halicyna and the Order is Cycloidea.

The reference for all of this is JP 71(2) 1997. Mazon Creek Cycloidea, Schram, Vonk and Hof.

Thanks for the info!!

In your opinion, is Cyclus americanus the correct label for this one?

Thanks for the info!!

In your opinion, is Cyclus americanus the correct label for this one?

I can't tell which one you have. Preservation is probably not the best. I would just label it as Cyclus sp.