Today's Trip

gatorjames85

After a long hike and fending off the tent peoples' dogs (probably a unique phenomenon to Gainesville fossiling), I got to the little feeder creek I spent the afternoon in. This was the first time I had screened here, but I had walked it before and found some really light colored shark teeth and vertebrate material. The big teeth eluded me today, but I found a dolphin tooth and some of my nicer specimens of contortus.

post-289-1234930805_thumb.jpg

After a long hike and fending off the tent peoples' dogs (probably a unique phenomenon to Gainesville fossiling), I got to the little feeder creek I spent the afternoon in. This was the first time I had screened here, but I had walked it before and found some really light colored shark teeth and vertebrate material. The big teeth eluded me today, but I found a dolphin tooth and some of my nicer specimens of contortus.

Time to invest in a dog whistle.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice finds. If you don't mind me asking what kind of tooth is that in the middle that looks like a double sided saw. Thats cool.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice finds. If you don't mind me asking what kind of tooth is that in the middle that looks like a double sided saw. Thats cool.

Stingray barb. That skinny one is a pretty long piece.

Nice stuff, and those ray barbs are pretty cool too. Most of the ones that I find are small pieces about an inch long and I only get a few of the larger pieces for some reason. What kind of vertebrate tooth is that on the lower right? Bison or camel maybe?

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Stingray barb. That skinny one is a pretty long piece.

nice finds i like the mammal stuff you can find down there, the skinny one Im thinking is actually a fish spine and not a ray barb.

Nice stuff, and those ray barbs are pretty cool too. Most of the ones that I find are small pieces about an inch long and I only get a few of the larger pieces for some reason. What kind of vertebrate tooth is that on the lower right? Bison or camel maybe?

I think it is a deer tooth.

James ,it looks more like Bison. B)B)B):D

You are probably right, my mammal identification is much shakier than my shark identification.