Marine Vertebra

pathological

Hi all, I am trying to get some things ID'd to be more precise for my album here. This vertebra is from the St. Mary's GA coastal area. Anyone who can tell me what period/age the deposit there is would be appreciated. This specimen size is approx. 2.5" x 3" with a 1" thickness. I suspect it to be from a marine mammal, possibly a manatee or dugong? Thanks...

post-607-1234978306_thumb.jpg

Probably a cetacean vertebra. If St. Mary's is near Charleston, then the fossil is Late Oligocene.

Bobby

Probably a cetacean vertebra. If St. Mary's is near Charleston, then the fossil is Late Oligocene.

Bobby

The St. Mary's River is the border between Florida and Georgia near the East Coast. The marine fossils in the St. Mary's are Middle Miocene in age, I believe.

Here's a pair of Parotodus teeth I found in the St. Mary's.

post-42-1234983757_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Absolutely gorgeous teeth!

Nicely preserved and great coloration.

I'm learning how to do my photos from looking at yours too

The St. Mary's River is the border between Florida and Georgia near the East Coast. The marine fossils in the St. Mary's are Middle Miocene in age, I believe.

Here's a pair of Parotodus teeth I found in the St. Mary's.

post-42-1234983757_thumb.jpg

Oh, good call. I'm completely unfamiliar with Neogene stratigraphy of the east coast outside the Chesapeake Group. Thanks for the correction. AFAIK, there hasn't been much done on Miocene marine mammals from Georgia.

Actually, now that I think about it, Charleston is in South Carolina. So I pretty much failed at geography as well. Oops! Ah well, never been further south than Virginia anyway.

Bobby

...Ah well, never been further south than Virginia anyway.

No need :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!