Fossils From Mineral Wells

Jaxdaddy

Here is what I found in Mineral Wells. Tons of crinoids and some bivalves. One nice trilobite which I have identified as Ditomopyge olsoni. Pictures are fuzzy. All I had was my cell phone so once I get a better camera, I will take some better pictures.

post-1338-1234988829_thumb.jpg

post-1338-1234988842_thumb.jpg

Obviously a very fossiliferous exposure!

I'm sure you're aware that Ditomopyge olsoni is one rare trilobite; I'm eager to see a better pic (maybe we should take up a collection to get you a camera :P )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds good to me!!! It is a great site. The ground is just covered with crinoids. I could have filled a few 5 gallon buckets and that wouldn't put a dent in the amount there. I think that my trilobite is my best find ever.

Nice haul.Is the trilo enrolled,or is it just the pygidium.

Nice trilo! I guess that could be better than our ptychodus teeth...

Barry - I don't speak trilo-ese. Maybe we can go hunting up there and you can learn me some! O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice trilo! I guess that could be better than our ptychodus teeth...

Barry - I don't speak trilo-ese. Maybe we can go hunting up there and you can learn me some! O

Trilo exterior parts.

Head section = Cephalon

Middle section = Thorax

Posterior section = Pygidium

It is the pygidium and part of the thorax. I am not brave enough to try to uncover the cephalon. I am hoping I can find another one next time I go out. Maybe a whole specimin, It may take some time but its fun to look.

...I am not brave enough to try to uncover the cephalon...

Be bold! With 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of equipment and a thousand hours of practice, you have a decent chance of not destroying your only trilobite. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Be bold! With 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of equipment and a thousand hours of practice, you have a decent chance of not destroying your only trilobite. :P

that trilobite already gave me one heartatache. I was opening rocks along natural fractures when I found it. Most of teh pygidium and half of the thorax broke off and I had to super glue it back on. I think my trilobite is just fine the way it is!!!! ;)

Nice trilobite , my most prized fossils are trilobites .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !