Shark Tooth Id Book Recommendations?

fossilover

Hi everyone!! Hope you are all having a great day!! I have recently begun trying to ID my collection of shark teeth. Searching the internet is hard (1) because many teeth look similar (2) it's hard to look through hundreds of webpages unless you have an idea of what species you are dealing with. So, I am trying to purchase a few books that I can refer to from time to time. I've searched the internet and have been to local bookstores, but I seem to only be able to find one shark tooth book in particular (Fossil Shark Teeth of the World-which I just bought yesterday), and the rest are about Flordia finds. I also purchased a couple of generalized fossil books the other day, but I'm lucky if they devote 2 pages to shark teeth (mainly Megalodon). I'd rather have books specific to the east coast, or books of shark teeth from around the world as opposed to books geared to a small location (such as Florida). Am I looking for a book that doesn't exist?? Does anyone have any suggestions?

By the way, I LOVE Florida, but I have only been there once and I never got to visit the beach - so a book only about Florida shark teeth will do me no good (I would like to go back one day, though specifically to look for teeth!!) I hope you understand. Florida must be a great place to look for teeth!!! :P

The one you bought is by Joe Cocke, is it not. That one isn't bad, but it's fairly limited as to amount of species. The best one I can recommend is Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region by Bretton Kent. The teeth are not limited to that area as most of them can be found all along the east coast. There are great write-ups and drawings (no pics) of several teeth of each species, as well as dentitions. It tells you what formations the teeth are found in and gives you an idea on rarity.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Yep, that's the one. It does seem to be a pretty good book, but many of the pictures are quite blurry and either washed out or too dark, in addition to being limited on species. I understand, though that pictures aren't everything. The book you are suggesting I will definitely purchase. Thanks alot!

Yep, that's the one. It does seem to be a pretty good book, but many of the pictures are quite blurry and either washed out or too dark, in addition to being limited on species. I understand, though that pictures aren't everything. The book you are suggesting I will definitely purchase. Thanks alot!

I recommend MEGALODON: Hunting the Hunter by Mark Renz. It has great photos and much more than just megalodon information.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Don't rule out the web. There is one site you should consult often as you ID your teeth:

www.elasmo.com

Yes, it has a focus on teeth found at the Lee Creek Mine (North Carolina -- Miocene and Pliocene), but those are represented elsewhere on the East Coast. Further, it does a good job of moving beyond Lee Creek and those epochs (use the "genera" and the "fauna" links). Frankly, this web site is a good place to start most of your ID efforts.

In addition to the books already mentioned (all very useful), if you hit any Cretaceous sites, I'd recommend The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays From the Cretaceous of Texas. It will help you with teeth from East Coast Cretaceous sites.

Good luck. Teeth ID is a challenge.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams