Parrot Fish Beaks?

rplopes

Hi, I'm a paleontologist from southern Brazil, and my research is focused on Pleistocene Mammals of the coastal area. In the paleontological collection of my institution we have the two specimens on the attached picture, found on the beach. My first guess was that they were beaks from puffer fishes (Family Diodontidae), but a colleague said that the denticles indicate that they were from parrot fishes. Does anyone know more about this group or have seen similar fossils?

Thanks!

post-1345-1235157805_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

welcome to the forum, and you say these were found a beach there hmmm, well they are fish and no they are not parrot fish, im thinking burrfish like jimmy has already said

Hi. Welcome to the Forum! I call these puffer fish(Diodontidae)plates.I've also seen them refered to as porcupine fish. Here are some examples from the Caloosahatchee shell beds in North Port, Florida. I seem to recall that the more rounded ones are the lowers and the more pointed ones are the uppers.

Dan

post-148-1235229146_thumb.jpg

It was difficult to identify these fossils. I've searched the FAO catalog, but it shows no details on the morphology. Can anyone say if they are upper or lower beaks? They were found several kilometers from each other, and not during the same field trip, so it's very impprobable that could be from the same animal.

If they are fossils of Chilomycterus, then it's probably C. geometricus, relatively common in the Brazilian coast.

Thanks for all the comments...this forum is of gret value for us paleontologists.

Thanks for all the comments...this forum is of gret value for us paleontologists.

That, my friend, is music to my ears! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!