Charleston, Sc Tips Needed

michjacket

• New Members

Hello all,

We are taking a family vacation to the Isle of Palms the week of April 11th. I am sure that time of year we will likely have some days too cool for the beach, but just right for fossil hunting. My 7 year old son and 12 year old daughter have become little rock hounds after our trip to Utah last year. They would really love to dig up some shark teeth. Any tips for some not too strenuous hunting locations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I gather from some of the posts I've read I should build something to sift the sand. What size mesh do you recommend? I believe I have some 1/4" out in the garage - would that be suitable? Any other equipment we should bring? Thanks, and great site!

Hello all,

We are taking a family vacation to the Isle of Palms the week of April 11th. I am sure that time of year we will likely have some days too cool for the beach, but just right for fossil hunting. My 7 year old son and 12 year old daughter have become little rock hounds after our trip to Utah last year. They would really love to dig up some shark teeth. Any tips for some not too strenuous hunting locations would be greatly appreciated. Also, I gather from some of the posts I've read I should build something to sift the sand. What size mesh do you recommend? I believe I have some 1/4" out in the garage - would that be suitable? Any other equipment we should bring? Thanks, and great site!

I think sifting the sand at the beach would be very unproductive. There's probably just not enough shark teeth per cubic foot of sand to make it worth your while.

For beach hunting, I would walk the beach looking closely at what is being thrown up by the waves. You need to see where the waves and tide is creating beds of shells. I like to look right along those edges especailly when they are being lightly washed over by the waves.

If you want to sift, you probably need to go inland. Check out this post. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...p;hl=charleston

• New Members
I think sifting the sand at the beach would be very unproductive. There's probably just not enough shark teeth per cubic foot of sand to make it worth your while.

For beach hunting, I would walk the beach looking closely at what is being thrown up by the waves. You need to see where the waves and tide is creating beds of shells. I like to look right along those edges especailly when they are being lightly washed over by the waves.

If you want to sift, you probably need to go inland. Check out this post. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...p;hl=charleston

Thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer - we weren't going to sift on the beach, just swim, fish, etc. If we have some cooler days not ideal for typical beach activities (which in early April is not unlikely) fossil hunting is a good alternative my kids will enjoy. I was thinking about heading to somewhere like Summerville and hunting a canal or creek. I've read through the posts for areas around Charleston and have some general ideas on possible areas. We know the area pretty well having vacationed there a dozen times over the years. My kids only picked up the interest in rock hunting recently, so we never tried it in SC before. They did well in AZ and UT finding trilobites and petrified wood. I've read through the commercial guide sites, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars to hunt and do not want to dedicate a specific day for it in advance. We are going to let the weather dictate our schedule. Any tips for specific areas we can try are appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer - we weren't going to sift on the beach, just swim, fish, etc. If we have some cooler days not ideal for typical beach activities (which in early April is not unlikely) fossil hunting is a good alternative my kids will enjoy. I was thinking about heading to somewhere like Summerville and hunting a canal or creek. I've read through the posts for areas around Charleston and have some general ideas on possible areas. We know the area pretty well having vacationed there a dozen times over the years. My kids only picked up the interest in rock hunting recently, so we never tried it in SC before. They did well in AZ and UT finding trilobites and petrified wood. I've read through the commercial guide sites, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars to hunt and do not want to dedicate a specific day for it in advance. We are going to let the weather dictate our schedule. Any tips for specific areas we can try are appreciated.

Good morning michjacket, an easy spot to get to is the Dorchester Creek in Summerville. It's where the creek passes under the Dorchester Road. Your must get there at low tide or the water will be to deep. You can sift or just look in the pockets in the marl. April is a good time, no algae yet, good luck.

Just like svillej said; there is the Dorchester canal. I would get there by going down Old Trolley road and onto Crosscreek Dr. This will take you to the YMCA and you will take this to the canal and park there. There is an easy way to get down to the water and you will want to wear boots or water shoes. The bottom is usually hard and you will not be able to dig that but there is areas where the sand collects and all you do is sift, sift, and sift. LOL

**NOTE** you must look at the tide table and go when it is low tide.

DorchesterCanal.jpg

Good Luck!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Also forgot to mention, shoes are a must as I have encountered broken glass there.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"