My New Buddy Fredie

RJB

This is my new buddy Fredie the Phareodus. (Phareodus is early Panomian for, Freeloader). For those of you who like to see works in progress, here it is. Very tuff to see in the first photo, but I put a pencil along the backbone with the erraser at about the first vert and the sharpened end stickin out past the fork of the last tail vert. Im guessing this fish is about 11 inches? In the second photo you can see how I just ruffed out the rock using my 9100. Its not the actual shape of the fish, but you dont want to go beyound the outer bounds of the edges of the fish, otherwise you will have what I call tool marks where they are not supposed to be. I hate tool marks!!! In the 3rd photo you can see how the air abrasive really cleans it up. The thing is, this is some super wonderful rock, coming off very easy with my air abrasive and yet the bone hard enough to not be touched at all!!! None of that hard crusty snarge covering the bones!!! Just wonderful stuff. I wish all fish could be this way. and not only that, but the jaws are purty much where they are supposed to be, all the head bones in the place they should be, the beautiful scales being close to perfect in most areas, backbone inline and in good shape, just workin out super great!!! Im very excited about this fish!!! WoooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!!! Enjoy

RB

Paleoron, you are absolutly correct. A little lemon and frys would go great with this.

Bmore, this fish will get a whole lot 'fatter'!!! This is just ruffing it out, I still have to find the 'edges' of this fish.

bonedigger, your pepperonie of mule deer is absolutly, super duperly, wonderfuly and exstreamly delicoius!!! Freakin awesome man!!! Put a wig on and put some tissue in your shirt and I will throw some kisses your way!!! Ha!!! Jesus im funny!!!!

RB

:wub:

Bone digger, you are a man of few words. Nobody but me knows how you reall are a wonderful and very very talk a tive person!!! All you wonderful folks here on the forum really need to visit me at my house here in Montana when bonedigger shows up!!! YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! and WooooooooooooHoooooooooo!!! You dont know fun until your with the Great RB and the Super Duper Bonedigger!! Yiiiiiipppppy Yaaaaaahoooooooo!!!!! jesus life is good and fun,, and super easy too!!!

RB

and so it should be, the great annual FOSSILBALOOZA, held at no other than the great RB's residence with bone digger as MC!!!!! We'll have whiskey, women, music and smoke <snoopy dancing to that boot scootin boogy country song> and oh ya FOSSILS, WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Bmore can come and meet the girl of his dreams, Dan W and pathological can stimulate their relationship, Big Bad John can be bouncer and Tracer can be the entertainment. We'll trade and sell and swap! fossils that is! the heck with Tucson! RB's or bust! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D

Have beer will travel! Need to update garmin though lol

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Well, I did a small bit of prep work on ole fredie yesterday. I was prepping the edges trying to find the ends of the fish for top nad bottom, and I was also taking a small bit of rock off the tail and folowing those bones out when I began to notice that some ray bones just came to an abrupt stop!! At first I was hoping that it was just the first couple that I followed out, but it soon became clear that the tail on this fish is litteraly destroyed!!! I was so upset I just called it quites. Not sure If I will ever finish this piece of snarge fossil now!! I do this almost everytime. Always hoping for that perfect fossil, (and that is rarely the case) then a huge let down when its got some damage!!! Aaaaaaargh!!!! Fossils suck!

RB

...tail on this fish is litteraly destroyed!!!...

If the damage isn't post-mortem, it would explain why Freddie was a freeloader...

Call a pathologist; this fossil has a story to tell!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, I did a small bit of prep work on ole fredie yesterday. I was prepping the edges trying to find the ends of the fish for top nad bottom, and I was also taking a small bit of rock off the tail and folowing those bones out when I began to notice that some ray bones just came to an abrupt stop!! At first I was hoping that it was just the first couple that I followed out, but it soon became clear that the tail on this fish is litteraly destroyed!!! I was so upset I just called it quites. Not sure If I will ever finish this piece of snarge fossil now!! I do this almost everytime. Always hoping for that perfect fossil, (and that is rarely the case) then a huge let down when its got some damage!!! Aaaaaaargh!!!! Fossils suck!

RB

You must finish grasshopper! Freddie like alot of us, deserves closure. Dont hate him because he's handicap, dang it! It's not right. Besides, to me it's still a awesome fossil.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....