Abf

• New Members

Hi!

I found some promising looking fossils (carboniferous period). I googled info on diy cleaning techniques from home. Not much info whatsoever. Does anyone have any info on a successful process? A toothbrush, rinsing them, and picking them with a dental like tool has yielded 0 results. I'm worried about chiseling away or chipping important areas and therefore ruining the fossil .

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Thanks so much !

Alaina

Yeah, we could use at least a couple of photos and some kind of general to specific locality data. Are the fossils still in the original rock or are you just cleaning pieces of rock off the fossils? Is the rock sandstone or limestone or some other rock? You need to get some kind of idea of how fragile the fossils are and of course what kind of fossils they are to know where to be especially careful as you carefully clean them.

Hi!
I found some promising looking fossils (carboniferous period). I googled info on diy cleaning techniques from home. Not much info whatsoever. Does anyone have any info on a successful process? A toothbrush, rinsing them, and picking them with a dental like tool has yielded 0 results. I'm worried about chiseling away or chipping important areas and therefore ruining the fossil .
HELP! HELP! HELP!

Thanks so much !
Alaina

Yeah, we could use at least a couple of photos and some kind of general to specific locality data. Are the fossils still in the original rock or are you just cleaning pieces of rock off the fossils? Is the rock sandstone or limestone or some other rock? You need to get some kind of idea of how fragile the fossils are and of course what kind of fossils they are to know where to be especially careful as you carefully clean them.

I agree. It all depends on what you're working with.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG