A New Cenomanian Exposure

MOROPUS

Many years ago, when I was in my early teenages, I use to go to a very little village to hunt. This was in the very beggining of the central Spanish Plateau. It was on the very beggining of the Losa valley, or in the near Nela valley (I couldn`t remember it...)

This little village has a hunting reserve on his back, so while my friend (and his father, who past away not long ago) and I look around for Woodcocks (Scolopax Rusticola), I "hunt" aswell (I never indeed hunt!). They where tons of fossils! Many of my rare echs came from there.

So, I decided to go and see how it was nowadays.

To be honest, this was my B plan. Some Spanish member of the forum (thanks! Otra vez sera!)recommend me another place, but due to the time I had to expend going, and that I didn`t ask permission (it was a mine), I decided this one.Even if it was an hour travel!

I read that in a French geological cart, that the Plateau wall, and this valleys were Cenomanian in age, but some kilometres inside it, a big Caenozoic inland deposit was covering it.

This Cenomanian sea strata, is incredibly thick (something between 1300 and 1500 metres!)in here.

When I reach the village, I didn`t recongnize it! Long ago, only two families live in the village; now is full of life!

I couldn`t tresspass some stone walls there, so i decided to go to a near exposure I sight from the road...

There it was! Right in the middle!

The rock was eroding, and a lot of shells, echs (not very well preserved), and pieces of Ammos where caming out of the mud.

I think this site has big probabilities for fossil hunters!

My trophies of the day; A Tissotia sp. Ammo piece, other ammos (still without Id), a whole bag of Micraster,some rare echs (still no Id! It was a week ago!),gigantic shell cast; some quite well preserved bivalves (some small Inoceramus with their original shell; Exogyras....) , some nice pics and a veeery big smile in my face, after the first hunt of the year!

post-62-1235674815_thumb.jpg The light grey are the hot spots

post-62-1235674911_thumb.jpgTriassic Mountains in front of me. In the left side, you can see the Caenozoic deposits

More pics...

post-62-1235675039_thumb.jpgThis is the wall of the plateau, as seen from the road.Notice the stratification of the Cenomanian rocks.

post-62-1235675127_thumb.jpgThis is how fossils appered on the mud.In the center, my first ammo in this site...

post-62-1235675194_thumb.jpgIn this valleys, many villages have dissapeared long ago; here you can see the ruins of a church...

Later, I will post more, including some of thye finds...

Now I have to leave!

I havent been in the forum for a while due to a minor operation on my foot. So stay in touch! I will be there!

Congratulations on your successful trip, and thanks for the pictures :)

(I hope your foot is better!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I love the pictures! Your country is beautiful.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

And more....

post-62-1235720785_thumb.jpgThis is a positive and negative cast of a Trigonia member shell...

post-62-1235720898_thumb.jpg...another artistic pic of the ruined village...

Stay tuned for the fossils! ;)

post-62-1235732046_thumb.jpg

An Inoceramiid with original shell.Two valves preserved...

post-62-1235732148_thumb.jpg

A sponge with serpuliid worms...

post-62-1235732195_thumb.jpg

the strangest of all findings of the day; a piece of a Tissotia sp. ammo!

post-62-1235732296_thumb.jpg

..a Micraster (Cortestudinarium?) a little bit distorted...

post-62-1235732421_thumb.jpg

This was one of the biggest sea shell cast I ever had in my hands! I take it home, just to find out if muscular impressions where there...

post-62-1235732517_thumb.jpg

...but there was no fortune! Anyway, I looove the cool rib pattern led by the shell. No Id found yet for it! Come on and try! I`m open to all opinions! ;):P

In Virginia and Maryland, we have Culculla gigantea (Paleocene).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

In Virginia and Maryland, we have Culculla gigantea (Paleocene).

Does that range from middle Cretaceous? This is the actual strata I found it...But it could be...I know nothing about that stuff!

Does that range from middle Cretaceous? This is the actual strata I found it...But it could be...I know nothing about that stuff!

I mis-spelled the genus, it is Cucullaea :blush: .

As far as I know, it is Paleocene/Eocene. There could have been a relative in the Cretaceous?