Beginner Looking For Tips! Ottawa, On Area.

BrittanyPurcell

So basically I'm planning on starting my journey of fossil hunting, but I have no idea what to look for.
I live beside an inactive Quarry that I don't believe has ever been picked through for fossils before so it is an ideal place to start. I was just wondering if maybe you guys could post photos of things that I should keep an eye out for? So i can familiarize myself with different types of fossils. I will obviously know a fish when I see one but I also don't want to miss our on the small stuff due to my ignorance.

I live outside of Ottawa in a rural area, so anyone who is familiar with this location would be a great help!

I posted these in another topic but for anyone who hasn't seen them this is the quarry I will be going to.
post-17383-0-06172500-1421553520_thumb.jpgpost-17383-0-24787100-1421553524_thumb.jpgpost-17383-0-26852300-1421553527_thumb.jpgpost-17383-0-26528900-1421553531_thumb.jpg

I want you to treat me as if i'm your child going hunting for the first time! :)

Edited by BrittanyPurcell

Hello Brittany.

I think first you should read this thread, and take some pointers from it.

It doesn't deal with your area, but it will give you some insight into what you should endeavor towards.

Get familiar with the fossils of your area, what they look like and what can be found. Read any scientific papers you can find for free on the internet, by googling formation names you come across.

Hopefully some locals will chime in.

At the quarry, I would look at the fallen rubble near the cliff walls, being careful not to get too close to the walls.

Look for anything unusual, symetrical - order amongst the disorder. I would assume your area wouldn't have much in the way of bones, but more in the way of invertebrate fossils, such as trilobites, cephalopods, gastropods, brachiopods and pelecypods.

Go to the library or purchase some books on fossils. See this thread. ;)

Look at them and study the lines and get familiar with what they look like.

You will start to see them, if you train your eyes. But don't be discouraged if you don't find fossils the first time out.

There are some areas where fossils are nil, or rarely found, and others where fossils are prolific.

Anyway, hope you have fun, and ask any questions at all. We're here to help you along.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Also see if you can acquire a geology

map of your region. It can be a useful way to quickly discriminate areas that are not fossiliferous and areas that contain different fauna.

Edited by Agos1221

Hello Brittany.

I think first you should read this thread, and take some pointers from it.

It doesn't deal with your area, but it will give you some insight into what you should endeavor towards.

Get familiar with the fossils of your area, what they look like and what can be found. Read any scientific papers you can find for free on the internet, by googling formation names you come across.

Hopefully some locals will chime in.

At the quarry, I would look at the fallen rubble near the cliff walls, being careful not to get too close to the walls.

Look for anything unusual, symetrical - order amongst the disorder. I would assume your area wouldn't have much in the way of bones, but more in the way of invertebrate fossils, such as trilobites, cephalopods, gastropods, brachiopods and pelecypods.

Go to the library or purchase some books on fossils. See this thread. ;)

Look at them and study the lines and get familiar with what they look like.

You will start to see them, if you train your eyes. But don't be discouraged if you don't find fossils the first time out.

There are some areas where fossils are nil, or rarely found, and others where fossils are prolific.

Anyway, hope you have fun, and ask any questions at all. We're here to help you along.

Regards,

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful :)

Good luck. I know that eastern Ontario and the area around Montreal has produced some wonderful Paleozoic fossils. I would explore the Trips reports from those areas to get an idea of what's been found.