Could My Find Be A Fossil?

lilly

I will have to up load pic tomorrow, but I have two finds. I found them both on the same day when i popped open some coal bearing rocks in a mine spoil. One ia attached to the rock I found it in the other fell out when I open the rock, the are about 1 and 1/2 inhes lond by 3/4 of a inch wide dark gray with a light grey stripe down the middle the out side is small segments with the light gray stripe being soild, the head is rounded and you can see were they had eyes. They look like small trilibytes, but they feel like heavy husk not rock. Really strange, I am new as you can tell so I am not sure what they are but one has a snall open area on the main body and it looks segmented on the inside. I thought maybe a catapillar but they came out of solid rock. Hard to help without pics I know. I will figure out how to post them tomorrow. Thanks

You have my interest up; I'll be watching for the pics!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

coal bearing .....maybe seed fern or coral. Guess that would be soft coal?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Guess that would be soft coal?

I'm guessing coal balls.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

post-1373-1235946946_thumb.jpg The one on the left is attached to the rock, the one on the right was found in another chunk of rock. They could be seed pods never thought of that.

They wouldn't be seed pods as the angiosperms didn't evolve until the Cretaceous.

I think we have Upper Carb. stuff here. Seed ferns.

One of the Trigonocarpus spp.?

I'm confused; were these in the matrix?

"Case Closed!" Praying Mantis Egg Cases... Get it. It is called a pun. And these look like they have already hatched, that is why you can see the segments (chambers). I do not see how these could possibly be "in the matrix". Perhaps they we in small crevices in between the layers of shale, but they were not in the matrix. As far as being a smart , deal with it as I am not the only smart on here.

I know. Sometimes I just can't seem to clam up. However, I never do it on porpoise.

I know. Sometimes I just can't seem to clam up. However, I never do it on porpoise.

Ha!! Jesus this is funny. Ok, Im the kind of guy who likes to 'stir' the pot. I could tell right off the bat that those were not fossils in any way shape or form, but you guys really know your stuff and figured it out what those really were. Cudos to you all. Travis, hang in there. saying the ars word is not the end of the world, I say one heck of alot worse than that, I just dont see it that way. Get me around a campfire and I will teach you a few new words. Ha!!

RB

Are they stone? Hard leathery? Any better pics? They are pretty awesome looking anyway. Good eye hunter, looks pretty shut case. I would love to see better pictures.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Those look like praying mantis egg cases to me.

I totally agree! Looks just like them.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'