Calvert Cliffs Geology: Shattuck Zones

cowsharks

I'm looking for a description of the various layers, also sometimes referred to as "zones" (aka Shattuck Zones), along Calvert Cliffs in Maryland. From what I understand, the actual fossil layers (members/formations) don't necessarily correspond one for one to the Shattuck zones. One time I saw a diagram that depicted the layers and where they were located within the cliffs; this diagram showed the cliffs all the way from Chesapeake Beach down to Solomons. I can't seem to find it though. It would be great though to find a description of how to identify each zone and/or fossil formation. For example, I've always understood zone 10 to be a layer that is gray in color, full of sand and shells and various verterbrate fossils. I don't know much about the other zones, their description, how to identify them, or what is contained in them (if anything).

thanks,

Daryl.

Hi Daryl

One reference that I use to describe the beds is a publication put out by the Calvert Museum called Fossils of Calvert Cliffs by Wallace Ashby. Not sure its still available.

Hi Daryl

One reference that I use to describe the beds is a publication put out by the Calvert Museum called Fossils of Calvert Cliffs by Wallace Ashby. Not sure its still available.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Thanks guys, collectively that's some great info and I don't think I own the one publication that Metopocetus linked. If I ever find that diagram I was referring to I'll post it back here.

Daryl.