Dinosaur Toe Bone?

RJB

I got this bone in a trade some time ago. It was covered in a very hard red rock in places and a crust over the rest of it hiding the real beauty of this bone. These photos are a bit blurry but I really didnt feel like getting dressed and going out in the cold dark garage for more photos, sorry. It took about 2 hours to get off all the hard red rock and crust, but I was amazed at the quality of the detail!!! I cant remember, but I think this came from Hell Creek? I dont know my dino bones from a hole in the ground, so any ideas will be helpful. Thanks

RB

post-171-1235913929_thumb.jpg

post-171-1235914120_thumb.jpg

post-171-1235914175_thumb.jpg

You nailed it. As far as what kind of dino....I'll leave that to those more knowledgable than me!

The specimen is a hadrosaur pes phalange....foot bone either first or second before the ungual (claw). It's on the large size for that particular part of the skeleton. That all fits with 'Hell Creek' formation in which the most prolific (and sometimes only) Hadrosaur is the genus 'Edmontosaurus'... a physically 'big' genus

Hadrosaur

Edmontosaurus

Phalange, Pes

very nice toe bone RB, I would have to agree with raptorclaws on his ID, Edmontosaurus.

Guest Nicholas
The specimen is a hadrosaur pes phalange....foot bone either first or second before the ungual (claw). It's on the large size for that particular part of the skeleton. That all fits with 'Hell Creek' formation in which the most prolific (and sometimes only) Hadrosaur is the genus 'Edmontosaurus'... a physically 'big' genus

Hadrosaur

Edmontosaurus

Phalange, Pes

Beat me to it, I agree entirely with this ID.

Hadrosaur

Edmontosaurus

Phalange, Pes

Thank you raptorclaw. I usually need all the help I can get.

RB

Raptorclaw nailed it - those really compressed phalanges of hadrosaurids (and Iguanodontians in general) almost look like flattened vertebrae.

If its from the Hell Creek, than Edmontosaurus is most likely it (the only known Hell Creek hadrosaurid).

Bobby

very nice toe bone RB, I would have to agree with raptorclaws on his ID, Edmontosaurus.

Hey Bonedigger, I hate to tell you this, being that you find lots of dino stuff, but really, you have to be more like me to be able to find dino toe bones of this quality! You might think that you can just go out fossil hunting and find something like this, but really, lets get real man, its takes a guy like "The Great Rb" to be able to pull something of this caliber out of the dirt! This is not your average everyday toe bone fella, this is truly exceptional and it really does take a true dude such as I to find something this wonderful!!! HA!!!

For anyone who can read between the lines,,,, and I cant wait to see how bonedigger is going to respond to this one? Heh,,,,heh,,,

RB

Here's a photo of my fossil foot (er, um I mean the hadrosaur's ) with the arrangement of the phalanges. The bigger digit in the rear (proximal) is the first phalange....and the end (distal) phalange is the ungual (claw). Your bone is one of the phalanges between these two. There are seven like yours on each foot. So with a left and right foot that makes 14. It's difficult to tell which of these '14' it could be without it being in articulation with other bones.

Note: one toe or one finger bone is a 'phalanx'.

two or more are 'phalanges'.

but: the word phalange is often used in literature instead of phalanx when referring to one digit.

post-723-1235952877_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of my fossil foot (er, um I mean the hadrosaur's ) with the arrangement of the phalanges. The bigger digit in the rear (proximal) is the first phalange....and the end (distal) phalange is the ungual (claw). Your bone is one of the phalanges between these two. There are seven like yours on each foot. So with a left and right foot that makes 14. It's difficult to tell which of these '14' it could be without it being in articulation with other bones.

but: the word phalange is often used in literature instead of phalanx when referring to one digit.

HOLY snarge!!! That is freagin AWESOME!!! And really, thanks for all the information.

RB

wow. i want a dinosaur foot to play pranks on people with. i've never gotten to do podiatricks before.

wow. i want a dinosaur foot to play pranks on people with. i've never gotten to do podiatricks before.

Ok, im not the sharpest pencil in the box. What is "podiatricks"?

RB

Ok, im not the sharpest pencil in the box. What is "podiatricks"?

RB

um "podia" is etymologically derived from the early late miocene word meaning "having something to do with a foot". "tricks" are what fools play. plays on words are what i do, and it was kinda a play on the word "podiatrist", who is someone who has secret rendezvouszes with feet, i think.

Hey Bonedigger, I hate to tell you this, being that you find lots of dino stuff, but really, you have to be more like me to be able to find dino toe bones of this quality! You might think that you can just go out fossil hunting and find something like this, but really, lets get real man, its takes a guy like "The Great Rb" to be able to pull something of this caliber out of the dirt! This is not your average everyday toe bone fella, this is truly exceptional and it really does take a true dude such as I to find something this wonderful!!! HA!!!

For anyone who can read between the lines,,,, and I cant wait to see how bonedigger is going to respond to this one? Heh,,,,heh,,,

RB

Well I would not want to try and one-up the great RB, especially here on the forum. However, I do have "The Mother" of all Edmontosaurus phalanx's which I found a couple years ago from the less infamous Horseshoe Canyon formation up here in Alberta. Which by the way is much closer to Edmonton, so there. . . . . . . . :) We'll see how good you really are at dino hunting this spring.

Welcome back Raptorclaws, we missed you! It just dawned on me who you are, maybe it was the picture that gave it away :)

Welcome back Raptorclaws, we missed you! It just dawned on me who you are, maybe it was the picture that gave it away :)

I figured it out when he included a pic of his "T-Rex License Plate" in a post a little while ago.

Welcome back indeed! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!