Word From Pcs

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

no i dont have the news but would love to know what people found, i heard some 6" megs were found.

Well todays group (me included) were cancelled due to foul weather conditions. Found out about it in

Washington at my motel room last night after phoning the wife. Long dejected ride back home this

morning, especially after seeing that the forecast for next weekend is for it to be near 70 degrees.

Early is not always better - CURSE THIS WEATHER!

-greel

well im not sure next week will be that great either, they are calling for a ton of rain then as well

I heard you can still go in if it's raining lightly. Has anyone else heard this.

Rain is a mixed blessing. It's bad for those going in the day it rains, but good for those who are going after.

Sorry to all that got rained/snowed out :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I got my call yesterday about being cancelled. now they say snow tonight... :faint:

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest bmorefossil
I heard you can still go in if it's raining lightly. Has anyone else heard this.

yea you can but if its going to be raining all day they dont like that

Guest bmorefossil

well the word is in and a few members have come out with some great finds! Seems Jayson and Amy did the best, Amy found a huge meg! sadly it is missing the tip. Jayson found a complete lower Hexanchus tooth! Obsessed1 (Kevin), ob1 however you may say his name, found an awsome great white way to go everyone

i had to corret kevin's find sorry about that ob1, they went right from saying megs to giving sizes for teeth that ended up being great whites and not megs haha well thats better that a meg!

well the word is in and a few members have come out with some great finds! Seems Jayson and Amy did the best, Amy found a huge meg! sadly it is missing the tip. Jayson found a complete lower Hexanchus tooth! Obsessed1 (Kevin), ob1 however you may say his name, found a 2.5" lower meg!!!! way to go everyone

If you want more about the Saturday hunt check out www.elasmo.com (last entry in left hand column)

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Well, I'm glad some people got in, though it must have been a pretty wet day. I heard that Sunday was canceled due to the weather. Does anyone know if there's snow still on the ground in NC?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Well..... I wish I had found a nice Meg like you hear I did. No Megs for me this trip unless you are counting broken reworked ones. I did find some nice fossils though. I will post as soon as I get some photos. Everythings wet right now from washing off all the mud!!!

Guest bmorefossil
Well..... I wish I had found a nice Meg like you hear I did. No Megs for me this trip unless you are counting broken reworked ones. I did find some nice fossils though. I will post as soon as I get some photos. Everythings wet right now from washing off all the mud!!!

so did they put you down for something you didnt find!!! oh your right it says you found a great white thats my fault i should have read the species better lol!

Well, I'm glad some people got in, though it must have been a pretty wet day. I heard that Sunday was canceled due to the weather. Does anyone know if there's snow still on the ground in NC?

We were slotted to go in Sunday. Got to the motel in Washington, checked in and got the message that we were canceled. We got canceled twice last spring. This is getting to be a heartbreaker. So we packed back up and went to Nags Head for the rest of the weekend. This afternoon coming West through Raleigh and Durham there was still several icy bridges, we saw seven accidents in that area. We live in SW Virginia and we have about 3 inches of snow here. The message that we got was that we will be re-scheduled later in the spring. I hope to meet some of you there.

• 2 weeks later...
what date did they give you?

Got word this week, we got April 18th. Anybody else going on that day? Hope to meet some of you there. Hoping for great weather... :wacko:

From what i saw the collecting area is HUGE, reminds me of the areas from around ten years ago. There is some primo layers in the mine however i did come across a lot of what i would consider snarge layer but that all depends on what you are looking for. The area is very fresh so people going in later in the season after a good rain will have a great chance of finding some nice teeth and the area will produce for some time to come as long as the reclamation keeps away. There haven't been a ton of big megs coming out to my knowledge but the large makos, parotodus and hex's have been making a nice appearance. I did pretty well on my trip which it rained lightly the whole time. Towards the end of the trip the temp dropped drastically and the rain started to come down. It's a good thing the heavier rain held off till the trip ended because they will allow a hunt in light rain but any lightning or thunder will end the trip. Heavy rain will end the trip as well because you will never be able to get out of the pit since that clay turns into a sticky slippery mess when it gets heavy rain. While i'm on the topic of PCS i'd like to take a second to thank them for all their efforts every year to allow us to come in and collect.

From what i saw the collecting area is HUGE, reminds me of the areas from around ten years ago. There is some primo layers in the mine however i did come across a lot of what i would consider snarge layer but that all depends on what you are looking for. The area is very fresh so people going in later in the season after a good rain will have a great chance of finding some nice teeth and the area will produce for some time to come as long as the reclamation keeps away. There haven't been a ton of big megs coming out to my knowledge but the large makos, parotodus and hex's have been making a nice appearance. I did pretty well on my trip which it rained lightly the whole time. Towards the end of the trip the temp dropped drastically and the rain started to come down. It's a good thing the heavier rain held off till the trip ended because they will allow a hunt in light rain but any lightning or thunder will end the trip. Heavy rain will end the trip as well because you will never be able to get out of the pit since that clay turns into a sticky slippery mess when it gets heavy rain. While i'm on the topic of PCS i'd like to take a second to thank them for all their efforts every year to allow us to come in and collect.

We're very hopeful that the weather cooperates this time. We still haven't found a complete meg tooth, a couple of small halves, but none otherwise. Hopefully a new large area and a different hunting strategy will help. We have found so.me very nice makos, hemi's, and a lot of small teeth along with some beautiful whale vertebrae, ribs, and many other bones. Every trip is a treasure hunt, and we do find treasure, but are still waiting for the crown jewel of the treasure....a meg. We learn something new every trip and as I said in an earlier post, we try to pick the brains of everyone we can while we're there. I'd also like to thank PCS and the Aurora Friends of the Museum for allowing us in to hunt and learn.

Does anyone else have April 18th? Would like very much to meet new people, especially from here on the forum.

We're very hopeful that the weather cooperates this time. We still haven't found a complete meg tooth, a couple of small halves, but none otherwise. Hopefully a new large area and a different hunting strategy will help. We have found so.me very nice makos, hemi's, and a lot of small teeth along with some beautiful whale vertebrae, ribs, and many other bones. Every trip is a treasure hunt, and we do find treasure, but are still waiting for the crown jewel of the treasure....a meg. We learn something new every trip and as I said in an earlier post, we try to pick the brains of everyone we can while we're there. I'd also like to thank PCS and the Aurora Friends of the Museum for allowing us in to hunt and learn.

Does anyone else have April 18th? Would like very much to meet new people, especially from here on the forum.

I'll be there the 18th, too.

-greel

Guest bmorefossil
I'll be there the 18th, too.

-greel

man! more of you people on the 18th!!!! i really wish i could have gone then, that would be just awsome getting hunt pcs on your birthday!!! lol