Wait, what?

:P

Comparative specimens as furniture...

Do you have a matched "pear"?

:rofl:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

What about this version found in tilled ground in TN? I find it hard to believe that it is only a concretion. Too many similarities to a peach and there used to be peach trees here at this 1921 home. Thanks for your input!

post-21714-0-87307700-1465830501_thumb.png

Edited by ValGal

What about this version found in tilled ground in TN? I find it hard to believe that it is only a concretion. Too many similarities. Thanks for your input!

Welcome to TFF!

It would help if there was a picture(s),

Tony

Those are concretions. The material is coarse, and I can't tell if it is sandstone or limestone.

They are really beautiful and interesting.

• New Members

What would cause the concretion to form the "pit" that easily ejected itself when the piece as a whole was broken? The coloring (the dark stripe) also matches that of peaches around here. Too coincidental. :)

What would cause the concretion to form the "pit" that easily ejected itself when the piece as a whole was broken? The coloring (the dark stripe) also matches that of peaches around here. Too coincidental. :)

There is more iron in the "pit" than in the surrounding area of the concretion. This can cause a area of weakness around the central part, allowing for a separation of the two parts. The colors are caused by the concentration of iron, which varies.

You are comparing a rock with a modern peach. The modern peach is a product of selective breeding that has only been around for a few thousand years. This is not what an ancestral peach would have looked like millions of years ago.

Also he meat of a peach is very soft and would not retain its shape when buried.

Tony