Verts Or Inverts

TyrannosaurusRex

35 members have voted

1. 1. Verts or inverts

• Vertebrates
    • Invertabrate
    • No preference

Personally I prefer vertebrate material. What about y'all?

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex

Inverts are typically easier to obtain complete specimens making them a good option for beginners but on the other hand vertebrates are a lot more awe inspiring which even noncollectors can appreciate.

• I found this Informative 3

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

You need both to understand the paleoecology . I have learned to appreciate all life forms in the system

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

You need both to understand the paleoecology . I have learned to appreciate all life forms in the system

I do I just find vertabrate material more interesting. But I like trilobites and Ammos a lot.

I love vertebrate fossils, but....

- More difficult to find

- More difficult to collect

- More difficult to prepare

- More competition with other collectors

- Legal and bureaucratic red tape

- $$$

After years of collecting drama and disappointment, I've settled into being mostly interested in types of fossils that are abundant, that no one cares about, or both (e.g calcareous algae, forams, and sponges). Of course I would be ecstatic if I came across a honey hole or lagerstatte of less-common and highly sought-after types.

Context is critical.

I 'm a vert guy. Love me a nice ammonite, but I find veretebrates more interesting. White River mammals were my first love in the fossil world.

Just voted for invertebrates and they are running dead even. I just like the incredible variety of stuff to be found in those ancient oceans. Example: weird echinoderms.

I like people and fossils with backbones.

love that quote Nate! Same here!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

While my self-imposed limit to what I collect is very narrow (class Aves), I am just as fascinated by fossils from all the classes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go team vertebrate!

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I agree with those who have said they are all interesting, but will echo what Missourian said, the inverts are easier to collect because they are more numerous and varied and fewer people seem to care about them, though the more interesting inverts like Burgess and Ediacaran specimens are certainly in demand and hard to get. Also inverts (and plants and unicellular stuff) go back further into Earth's early years and are more useful overall for stratigraphy/etc, if you're into the science more than the 'gosh golly gee look at the teeth on that one' factor.

I'm a dinosaur kind of guy, so vertebrates for me. But I still like invertebrate material.

You should include plant material (it is invert stuff, but i think more gastropods and bivalves when invert is said).

I prefer vert stuff, but invert stuff is cool too.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG