Missouri Fossils

Mike Zimmer

Hi, I'm quite new to this forum, first time posting. Took me a while to figure this all out and get my pictures down to a file size to put on here.

A little history of where this one and several others I will post came from. I have 8o acres in Missouri close to I-44 and the Gasconade River, about 1100 feet above sea level. Who would have thought I'd be finding sponges there. I don't go digging for these. They are on the ground or in the creek bed. Most all the rock in the area is chert, dolomite, quartz, and really hard stone, very little sandstone and no limestone.

I've spent a lot of time trying to identify these fossils, and the more I learn the more conflicting the information gets. The timing, the place, and the fossils just don't seem to agree. Not to mention I really don't have a clue what some of them are. I've been all over the net and to USGS in Rolla, MO, who are trying to get me some answers but don't know themselves. I can speculate but I'm no paleontologist.

I've been a rock hound all my life. I love this stuff. I've just never studied it officially. Heck, I can't even pronounce most of the names of the things much less remember them without writing them down.

The piece here is my first find. I'll post two more pictures of it.

post-17490-0-89030200-1422744444_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike, and welcome to The Forum.

I've merged your topics into this single topic. To add additional photos or information, click on the "More Reply Options" button at the lower right of the text box below. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mike -

Welcome! I suggest you google Bruce Stinchcomb and look at any and all of his publications. He is THE guy when it comes to Missouri fossils.

Hi, posting my second fossil sponge. Please see the first at Missouri Fossils post if this didn't put them together. It will also tell you where I found them. This is the last piece that I have found. Very interesting piece too. lots going on with it.

post-17490-0-08999100-1422801220_thumb.jpg

All of these item are in the same rock. A trilobite nose, snail or mollusk, and I guess a crinoid or other sponge attachment?

post-17490-0-21427900-1422801756_thumb.jpg

post-17490-0-39124000-1422801787_thumb.jpg

post-17490-0-90937400-1422801828_thumb.jpg

This one's really got me baffled! When I first found it I thought it was volcanic and it was after I found that first piece, but before I decided that it had to be a fossil. It's been a few years ago and I've done a lot of research since then. It is organic there is no doubt. I think it is a sponge, but I've been told it's a Bio Mat, Stromatolites, Coral which it can't be, perhaps a Stromatoporoid but I don't think so because I have one that I will post next, and it is the only one I have been able to identify.

post-17490-0-09630500-1422806321_thumb.jpg

Last entry for my sponges in Missouri and the only one I think I know what it is, a Stromatoporoid or rough sponge.

post-17490-0-69015400-1422808554_thumb.jpg

I looked up Bruce Stinchcomb, from what I read he's into Pennsylvanian or upper Carboniferous. I am fairly certain that the fossils I have are from the lower Ordovician Period.

If it is a Missouri fossil, Bruce is the man. He has published journal articles from the precambrian, through the late Cretaceous dealing with Missouri. I wish I could be of help, but you are outside of my stomping grounds. What makes you think they are Ordovician?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Another suggestion, look into the Eastern Missouri Society of Paleontology. They have monthly meetings in St. Louis, and if you can attend one, I suspect they will be able to offer some insite.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

There are several reasons that I know these fossil to be lower Ordovician. One, the area and rock layer they come from is of Gasconade dolomite and am part of the Hazelgreen formation. Two, geologist from U.S.G.S. told me so. Three, I read it in a book "Roadside Geology of Missouri". Four, the maps show it to be, I'm in Pulaski county. Their is a GERALIZED GEOLOGIC MAP OF MISSOURI put out by the Division of Geology and Land Survey.

I think that same geologist I talked to tried getting in touch with Bruce Stinchcomb and several other PHD's. He tried talking me out of my First fossil for USGS's museum. He thought It was an Archaeocyatha as did I at first, because it's a reef building sponge. Problem is they didn't exist into the Ordovician period. Now he thinks it's a Archaeoscyphia though he is admittedly not sure. And to be honest with you I really haven't a clue but speculation.

The Geologist with USGS is going to go fossil hunting on my land when the weather breaks and he can get out of the office. He also wants to learn more of the age of the rock and strata. Sooner or later I will donate my fossils as well for all of there help.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Though I have my land in Missouri I live in Texas it makes it a little hard to talk with people there or groups there that might help me. Good thing though I have a whole new set of fossils I'm finding here. Bad thing I have to learn the geology of Texas now. That's OK I love learning new stuff. I've already got a fair collection of Texas fossils. I can't Identify most of them either! What fun to find out.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Though I have my land in Missouri I live in Texas it makes it a little hard to talk with people there or groups there that might help me. Good thing though I have a whole new set of fossils I'm finding here. Bad thing I have to learn the geology of Texas now. That's OK I love learning new stuff. I've already got a fair collection of Texas fossils. I can't Identify most of them either! What fun to find out.

Mike, you might find Finsley's guide and the Austin geologic map useful for your Texas specimens.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks John J., I just ordered the one book I guess I'll order the other too. The map I can get off the net. If for no other reason to look up the words to be able to use them in posts because I sure as heck can't remember them much less spell them with out reference. But I never forget a rock!

I would suggest this book to start with.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/Ozarks/images/book4.html

I got the book today, and thank you so vary much. Right off the bat I found something vary interesting I wasn't looking for. Refer to page 52. I knew what the Crinoid disk was, (I had to put a magnet to it to make sure it wasn't a washer), The other I almost tossed as a strange pebble. Something kept nagging at me that it's something important.

post-17490-0-59100200-1423358608_thumb.jpg