A Pound Of Snake Wood And A Palmwood Arrow Point

Oh-Man

I got to do some serious recon in an area known for lots of fossilized wood.

The quality of the palm is not quite as good as some other areas in the state, but I'm usually good for a couple of pieces on any given trip. I figure I find about one piece of palm wood for every 2000 of other fossilized wood that is out there: oak, cedar, elm, legume, other tropical hard woods. The snake wood is much more rare and I only have 3 pieces compared to around 60 palm pieces. The characteristics are tightly packed linear straws that when looked at on end looks like the texture of snake skin.

The HGMS had a trip to Jasper, TX this past Saturday. The palm wood is of higher quality here typically. The group came away with around 10 pieces, three were mine. The find of the day was my arrow head made of palm wood. Verified it with a pro later that day (MR Johnson from Johnson's Rock Shop that it is a Alabama-Coushata point). One of my better finds ever. Finally there is also a lot of "pocket rot" wood to be found. A pic of a couple of small pieces is attached. Pocket rot wood is wood that was water logged and spongy before getting buried and ultimately fossilized. The intersticial spaces are solid crystal in most cases.

post-549-1236049989_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236050013_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236050183_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236050205_thumb.jpg

post-549-1236050307_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Man, you must have gone "Mwua-ha-ha" all the way home.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice wood. I think the Central TX group went there a couple of weeks ago. I need to check it out next time I go through East TX.

Nice wood. I think the Central TX group went there a couple of weeks ago. I need to check it out next time I go through East TX.

Actually I think the Austin Paleo group is supposed to go out there in two weeks. This place is getting shut down this year due to change in ownership so I'd recommend you make the trip. And take something to haul large pieces if you want some logs. I excavated a 2000 pounder last year, but of course couldn't do anything with it at that point...

TC: The Paleontological Society of Austin has a trip there on the 21st. You might hook up with them.

For the rest of you: I was once again skunked by Oh-Man on the palm, and a point to boot! Next time, I am going to make him walk home. I spent my time targeting some larger pieces and didn't get into the gravel beds. So much wood so little time. I still have a 250 pound trunk section there that is part of my field collection which is still scattered around the state. Relocation of those is such a pain (in the back).

Stopped to see Mr. Johnson on the way back. He has the largest collection of wood that I have seen.

A few pics. Some of my field collection, TroyB and Oh-Man staring at his "palm", Oh-Man's palm palm, and catfuraplenty found a nice round branch.

post-534-1236054992_thumb.jpg

post-534-1236055003_thumb.jpg

post-534-1236055483_thumb.jpg

post-534-1236055499_thumb.jpg

post-534-1236055527_thumb.jpg

post-534-1236055536_thumb.jpg

That is so sweet! Awesome finds.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Looks like some cool finds by some "cold" people. (Members in far north TX and beyond shaking their heads....)

Owen, the point is a beauty because it is made from an uncommon material. I have a few points made of fossilized wood and all are from East Texas. However, I will dispute Mr. Johnson's ID as "Alabama-Coushatta". This stone point significantly predates any of the historical tribes. (Unless Mr. Johnson knows of some enterprising native american pitching his current work into the creek you were in. :D )

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Great finds Owen,that point makes the day!

Now you need to get some rock polishing equipment!

Looks like some cool finds by some "cold" people. (Members in far north TX and beyond shaking their heads....)

Owen, the point is a beauty because it is made from an uncommon material. I have a few points made of fossilized wood and all are from East Texas. However, I will dispute Mr. Johnson's ID as "Alabama-Coushatta". This stone point significantly predates any of the historical tribes. (Unless Mr. Johnson knows of some enterprising native american pitching his current work into the creek you were in. :D )

John,

I honestly have no idea, but trust your assessment.

Thanks

O

John,

I honestly have no idea, but trust your assessment.

Thanks

O

Don't just "trust" me. I've been wrong before; but a little research should bear out my assertion. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Don't just "trust" me. I've been wrong before; but a little research should bear out my assertion. B)

John

I'll show it to you one of these days and we can take a harder look at the likely source.

Thanks

O

Those are some awesome finds! the point is really cool! I'd love to get down there for some pet palm wood.